4 years ago
188 posts

Will do thanks

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

"Uncle" Ed Thomas. Nathina if you are really interested in this subject you'll need to do some reading and learning from books and articles on dulcimer history and traditions. There's a lot to learn but it's all well worth the effort to those with a serious interest. Stumbling onto a real Thomas is arguably the Holy Grail of antique dulcimers. Also some fun related content here on fotmd by doing a main search for "Ed Thomas". Also, maybe you'll enjoy some of the threads in this Group . And you'll definitely want to read Ralph Lee Smith's Dulcimer Traditions, and his The Story of the Dulcimer.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

And what does a "Thomas" design mean exactly?

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

That's a beautiful dulcimer, John.  I remember the Galax you showed me in Berea a couple years ago.  Beautiful work.  Nina

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
388 posts

The first two strings are #4 gauge or .013", and the bass string is #8 gauge or .020".

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

Ok I get it- cutting the wire and twisting the loops ends. I wondered whether you were making strings from some other material. Like weedwacker line maybe, or maybe like when I twist one to two dozen horse tail hairs into a rope to make strings for my jouhikko . Thanks!

Just curious- what gauge strings did you put on this walnut beauty, John?  And is it tuned to the key of D?

--
Site Owner

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I make my own strings when necessary.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
388 posts

Lisa, homemade strings are made by taking a small spool of piano wire, and twisting a loop in the free end.  Then you cut the wire off to the length you want.   It's a little tricky to get a good twist of the wire.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

Lovely, John! 

Please tell us what you mean by homemade strings. ? 

--
Site Owner

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
388 posts

An all-walnut J. E. Thomas replica dulcimore with just intonation and homemade strings.