Christine Shoemaker
Christine Shoemaker
@christine-shoemaker
3 years ago
16 posts

Strumelia:

Lucky Dave, if you enjoy hearing deep sounding dulcimer playing blues, be sure to watch @christine-shoemaker 's videos !

- Hi Lisa - and thank you! HUG

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,252 posts

Lucky Dave, if you enjoy hearing deep sounding dulcimer playing blues, be sure to watch @christine-shoemaker 's videos !

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,120 posts

For the ultimate in pure acoustic volume, you might consider having someone build you a Tennessee Music Box with modern full-width frets rather than the traditional half-width frets.  My friend John Knopf just listed one of his fabulous TMBs here the other day, but it only has the traditional frets so you couldn't play Chord-Melody style.   I have seen Big Box dulcimers with rounded ends (and different soundholes), so a custom Box would not have to be rectangular...

Lucky Dave
Lucky Dave
@dulcimer-dave
3 years ago
19 posts

Ken,

Good to hear this from you, as I respect your opinion.  What I am looking for is a dulcimer that has that deep guitar sound, loud so I can play blues on it that won't break my bank account. I just shipped a lady one of my short scale Dulci's because my hands are too large for it. My go to's right now are my old FolkRoots and a TK O'Brien.  I am also drawn to unique designs and not fond of the heart shaped sound holes ( this is simple personal preference).  And I am open to suggestions.  Thanks again!

Dave

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,120 posts

Tom's unique designs have been around for many years.  I understand that he is only making a few dulcimers these days, and not taking any special orders.  He makes a few and if you like one you can buy it...

Yocky's are not something that appeal to me, but I have heard them being played, and they do have more "California" sound than "Kentucky".  If you can find one, I'm sure you would appreciate it.   Personally I'm partial to the 'high silvery' sound of the traditional "Kentucky" instruments.

Lucky Dave
Lucky Dave
@dulcimer-dave
3 years ago
19 posts

Hey Folks,

Happy Holidays!  I just discovered this builder and was wondering if anyone has ever owned any of his unique instruments. I like my dulcimers to have a nice bold sound, more like what Howard Rudd refers to a a "Califonia Sound" as opposed to a Kentucky sound.  This one seems to fit the bill, and in my price range. 

Thanks in Advance!