Determining Origin and Value of Dulcimer

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
1,137 posts

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but it has taken me a while to search for them. I did find a reference to Joyce and Richard Angell in her mother's obituary in 2009. I also found a reference where someone mentioned Joyce as the maker of her dulcimer. And that's it. There still is a Richard H. Angell living in Texarkana on McKeehan Lane. His mother-in-law's last name was McKeehan. I don't know if that area had a split in area code as the phone number begins with a different on than on the card but follows with the 799 prefix. The listing gives two female relatives neither of whom is a Joyce. His age is listed as 71. This was all I could get for free. I have no idea if this the dulcimer maker.

Now as the dulcimer itself, I think you can assume that the dulcimer was made by one or the other Angell. It appears to be well built and is nicely decorated. As to value it is anyone's guess. Obviously the Angell's are not well known as dulcimer makers. My guess is that on a site like eBay it would probably bring between $200 and $300 dollars.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Hester1950
Hester1950
@hester1950
2 months ago
1 posts

This dulcimer was given to me many years ago by my older sister who has since passed away. The accompanying folder contains instructions on how to use it and 9 songs.  Attached to the folder is a business card "Angell Dulcimer Handmade Instruments".  Am I to infer that this dulcimer was made by Richard Angell?  Will this information be sufficient in helping me determine the value of the dulcimer?  I am looking to sell it.  I also want to sell it to someone who appreciates the craft and hopefully will play it.  I'm getting up in years myself and am selling possessions that I would like to know are in the right hands. 

The folder came with the Dulcimer.  I had to crop the folder pictures because they would not upload. The card has "Angell Dulcimer Handmade Instruments". Would this infer that R H Angell made this Dulcimer?  I was not able to reach that number.

Dulcimer 1.1.jpg
Dulcimer 1.1.jpg  •  51KB

Dulcimer 2.1.jpg
Dulcimer 2.1.jpg  •  37KB

Dulcimer 3.1.jpg
Dulcimer 3.1.jpg  •  43KB

Dulcimer 4.1.jpg
Dulcimer 4.1.jpg  •  38KB

Dulcimer 5.1.jpeg
Dulcimer 5.1.jpeg  •  55KB

Dulcimer 6.1.jpg
Dulcimer 6.1.jpg  •  107KB