Can Anyone Identify the maker of this dulcimer.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

The entire dulcimer is odd. Beautifully done, carvings excellent, yet electrified I am sure after the fact. Otherwise the plug could have been drilled properly and replacing it would have matched the back. Or the access could have been drilled from the side and replaced with a preamp volume control.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

I certainly don't know who made that interesting dulcimer. Several luthiers use those sheaves, though, so that might not be a revealing clue.

It is an odd combination of a very traditional, truly diatonic fretboard (with no 6+ fret) and a very modern, solid body electric.  

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Checked Clemmer, he had small wheat sheaves, but nothing like this, plus his instruments are much finer. Although this is a beautiful instrument, it is "courser".

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,428 posts

I think wheat sheaves have shown up on some Clemmer instruments.  Though I wouldn't guess this to be a Clemmer.  I could be wrong.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

True. The added magnetic pickup was after the fact. There is a bore hole in the back and there are screws attaching some piezos I think. There is no knobs, no equalizer, no gain controls or volume. It would require a preamp although with the mag pickup probably a direct amp plugin would also work. It is those wheat sheaves that I am trying to place. I saw them before on  on instruments by a good luthier. Can't remember where. The carving is excellent.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,428 posts

I don't have a clue who made it.  The lack of a 6.5 fret seems to indicate it has some age on it.  Perhaps the electric part was made after the fact yet it looks to be made by someone with skill and a skilled builder would have known electrification of some type would have been needed on a solid wood body.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I am considering purchasing it. It is an electric dulcimer, no sound holes solid wood, not hollow, but the electric part was probably made after the fact. 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
4 years ago
167 posts

Did you try to play it?   Just a beautiful dulcimer.   Were you able to look inside the holes to see if someone wrote their name on it.   What were they asking for it....that is if it was for sale?   cool case how they adjusted it to fit somehow IN the case.  

aloha, irene

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I know I have seen those wheat Sheave Design before but can't recall where. This Dulcimer had a magnetic pickup added to it, drilled a small core through the back which was wooden plugged. It is bigger than the case. Any ideas who made it?