Ron Ewing dulcimer thoughts?

Pipes530
Pipes530
@pipes530
2 years ago
1 posts

Howdy All. I have a Ron Ewing baritone dulcimer & have been playing it for close to a year now. I couldn't be happier..!  Quality product made by a quality & professional person. Answered any question I had & I couldn't ask for more. A+ in my books. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

Wendell, you're right both that Ron Ewing is known for his baritones and his dulcimettes and also that you rarely see his instruments hit the used dulcimer market.  That alone tells you something about how people like them.  I know of at least one professional dulcimer player who has been playing a Ron Ewing standard dulcimer for decades.  She loves it.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
231 posts

Ron builds a great dulcimer.

I owned a couple of Ron's dulcimers over the years, a 6 string dulcimette and a standard style. Great craftsmanship, superior balanced sound, beautiful wood and very easy to work with if you want something special made. Most people really like his dulcimers and there are not many for sale. I got rid of mine simply because I chose to move to the old style traditional dulcimer with staple frets, wood tuners, and primarily 1-5-5 tuning with diatonic fretbpard without any added frets. The owner of the standard still plays it regularly as far as I know. The dulcimette was donated to a charity auction to raise money for a student scholarship to attend a major dulcimer festival.

Wendell G
Wendell G
@wendell-g
3 years ago
9 posts

Hi everyone. I own one of Ron Ewing’s fantastic dulcimer capos and recently saw that he has made over 1,700 dulcimers. Out of curiosity, I started looking around and find few You Tube videos and none for sale used that I could find. I would enjoy hearing from those of you who own or have played Ron’s dulcimers. I know he’s famous for his baritones and dulcimettes but I am curious about his standard size. Thanks!

updated by @wendell-g: 03/05/22 07:50:11PM