baritone guitar

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

jost: Thanks for the explanation Dusty, so any guitar could be retuned like this? The Sound is lovely

Jost, in theory you could tune any guitar like this, but I am using a guitar specifically made to be a baritone.  It has extra heavy strings and extra bracing and a strong truss rod to be able to handle the extra tension.  I would be wary of just stringing any old guitar like this.  Without that extra bracing, you might do some damage.  I am certainly no expert on instrument design, however.  The strings mine came with range from .016 to .070.  They are pretty big and give my fingers a workout.  

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
jost
@jost
2 years ago
76 posts

Thanks for the explanation Dusty, so any guitar could be retuned like this? The Sound is lovely

updated by @jost: 04/28/22 09:09:02AM
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
2 years ago
252 posts

Very useful if you sing in a lower key. My long neck banjos are baritone. 30" scale dulcimers make great baritones. .. Robert

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

jost: What's the difference to a normal guitar? The tuning?

Yes, a baritone is tuned a 4th or 5th lower than a standard guitar.  So the low 6th string of a standard guitar is the same note as the 5th string of a baritone.  A standard guitar is tuned (from low to high) E-A-D-G-B-E whereas a baritone is tuned B-E-A-D-F#-B.

It's basically the same difference as that between a standard and baritone dulcimer.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/27/22 12:52:27PM
jost
@jost
2 years ago
76 posts

What's the difference to a normal guitar? The tuning?

updated by @jost: 04/27/22 11:55:14AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Just got a baritone guitar!  Does anyone else play a baritone guitar?  What styles of music or specific songs seem to work well?

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie