David Schnaufer

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

Thanks, Ken.  I appreciate your sharing this information.  

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
2 years ago
188 posts

Thank you, Ken.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

Blair School of Music at Vanderbilt University still has a Folk Music department. Currently there are two instructors in fiddling but none on other folk instruments. There is no chair listed for the department. There also is a department of ethnomusicology.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

@don-grundy I'd be interested in learning what has become of the program there, too.  

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
2 years ago
188 posts

Does anyone know what happened to the dulcimer program at Vanderbilt?

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
2 years ago
420 posts

Yes, Pluck is a must read book.  My student gave me copy on Thursday night and Monday morning I was finished.  I didn't think I'd like the lay-out but it was really good.  Only wish a couple of people who have gone on since David could have been around to add some details.  I've read parts of it several times and hope to re-read the whole soon. Get it; read it.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 years ago
389 posts

"PLUCK" is an amazing and unusual book.  I obtained a copy and read through it with much interest and wonder.  So many people, so many events being interwoven for David's entire life.  Quite extraordinary.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,429 posts

@salt-springs I read Pluck and will re-read it sometime.  I learned lots about David Schnaufer and other players, too! 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

On August 23, 2006 David Schnaufer, probably one of the greatest Dulcimer player ever, left us.  I was thinking this morning that many new players may not realize the influence he had in making the dulcimer well known to both professional and amateur musicians.   So many great players have gone on..........and by the way, Linda Paulus' book, PLUCK is a great read..........you should get a copy and reflect upon the musicians mentioned, some of whom are still around and members of FOTMD.  (Thanks for doing what you continue to do!)

There have been so many...................