K&K pickup versus LR Baggs under saddle pickup.

Lilley Pad
Lilley Pad
@lilley-pad
14 hours ago
25 posts

Thanks Butch looks like a good resource (Dulcimer players news) I just downloaded the article. OR did I uploaded It, never could figure if I'm downloading or uploading SMILE

Butch Ross
Butch Ross
@butch-ross
yesterday
22 posts

I wrote an article about this for DPN a while ago. You can re-read it here. https://archive.org/details/dpn-2007-033-04/page/4/mode/2up

the first half is about mics, the second half is about pickups. The information is still relevant and accurate. Except to say that in the last few years, people have been making better, and more realistic-sounding magnetic pickups. Folkcraft, especially, is doing some stellar stuff these days.

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
3 months ago
14 posts

Lilley Pad,

I build this dulcimer model that I call the "Peardrop".  The dulcimer pictured is a 6 string that is my own personal instrument.

I also build it as a 4 string.  This model has excellent sustain and resonance has a floating bridge.  I wanted even more sound

when playing in larger rooms , so I equipped the 6 string with the "K & K Twin Spot" pickup that Dusty mentioned.  The two

pickups are mounted right under the ends of the bridge.

The "Twin Spot" delivers a terrific, pure acoustic sound.

Jim Phillips

Pear1.jpg
Pear1.jpg  •  216KB

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 months ago
1,756 posts

Hi Lilley-Pad,

My favorite dulcimer is one made by Terry McCafferty. It came with a K & K twin spot pickup.  The twin spot has has two heads, and although I don't know how Terry positioned them, the fact that there are two means that you get a more balanced sound.  I can tell you that the dulcimer sounds great amplified, and I also know that Terry worked with Stephen Seifert for a long time testing different pickup possibilities before they decided on the K & K.  Just plugging directly into an amp or DAW provides a very clean, acoustic sound.  I have some other dulcimers with pickups, none of which seem as clean as the K&K, but in some cases I don't even know what they are, so I can't say for sure any of them have an LR Baggs. 

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lilley Pad
Lilley Pad
@lilley-pad
3 months ago
25 posts

I hope I'm not repeating a previous post but I could not find anything under search so here goes. It's just a general question about pickups wanted to get feedback. K&K pickup versus LR Baggs under saddle pickup. the little that I've been reading on the internet suggests that the K&K gives you a more realistic Acoustic sound. Do you guys find that to be true or what's your opinion in general? Thanks again, I hope everybody's doing well. A few months ago they operated on my left hand so now I'm doing finger exercises. I was getting what they call Dupuytren’s, contracture. I guess I'm just getting old. The good news is that everybody else is getting old with me. smile