dulcimer gender studies

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

Funny. A banjo named Lola just seems wrong for some reason. Jed, OK, but Lola?And Mr. Fiddles works for acartoon violin. Wally works for me, especially if it's a baritone or bass dulcimer.

Kimberly Moore said:

As far as the gender is concerned, I'm not sure why I refer to my dulcimer as a he. Actually, I refer to my fiddle as Mr. Fiddles. The banjo I play, however, is namedLola.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

Dana, can we assume that Curly Sue is a girl and was not inspired by the Shel Silverstein/Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue?"

Dana R. McCall said:

My baritone's name is Curly Sue because of the really pretty curly maple she is made of.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dana R. McCall
Dana R. McCall
@dana-r-mccall
12 years ago
168 posts

My baritone's name is Curly Sue because of the really pretty curly maple she is made of.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

How about Nutmeg , since Connecticut is the Nutmeg State?

I originally thought it odd to name instruments. I never named by guitar, my 12-string guitar, or my mandolin. But it's easy enough to say "the Guild" or "the 12-string." It's a lot harder to say "my six-string baritone dulcimette by Ron Ewing."

My sense is that folks who have lots of dulcimers give them names, but if you only have one, there is no need. When I was in college I had a cat named TC for "the cat." I saw no reason for a real name since it was the only cat in the household. I only named my first dulcimer when it became my first dulcimer, meaning when I got a second one. When it was the only one I had, it was just "my dulcimer."

But my question here is about gender. Why is your bike female? Why are most dulcimers female? Maybe they are not. The hourglass shape definitely seems feminine to me, but a teardrop? I don't know.

And what about Jim's football-shaped dulcimer? Maybe he should call it "Jim Pluck-it." [For those who don't know, Jim Plunkett was a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback with Stanford University who went on to win two Super Bowls with the Oakland Raiders back in the 70s and early 80s.]

B. Ross Ashley said:

That's odd, I never thought to name my dulcimer ... my bike is Madama Butterfly, because she is an Italian/Taiwanese hybrid (a Bianchi Boardwalk, built in Taiwan about 1987.) I probably ought to name the dulci. Hmmm. It's a stock Connecticut-built 1989 Folkcraft cherry teardrop.

Cherry Poptart? Yeah, right. Grin.gif

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
12 years ago
59 posts

That's odd, I never thought to name my dulcimer ... my bike is Madama Butterfly, because she is an Italian/Taiwanese hybrid (a Bianchi Boardwalk, built in Taiwan about 1987.) I probably ought to name the dulci. Hmmm. It's a stock Connecticut-built 1989 Folkcraft cherry teardrop.

Cherry Poptart? Yeah, right. Grin.gif

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

There's got to be a name in your description, Judy: "beautiful honey blond buttery color." That sounds like a girl to me.

Judy said:

Fun topic! I just got mine and haven't thought of a name yet. I'd love some suggestions. She (or he) is made of cherry and sitka spruce-a beautiful honey blond buttery color. I'm anxious to hear everyone's namesGrin.gif

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

Got one named Mae for Mae West. An early Berg with a very curvaceous body and wasp waist. Other than that, I have Magic, Comet, Thistle, Dearheart, Irish, Ivy (ivy leaves for soundholes) Flame, Flair, Starbright etc. These are all based on the soundhole pattern.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
12 years ago
1,727 posts

Please don't be offended. It's late andI'm a goofball.

Today my daughter said to me, "Daddy, I think you should give at least one of your dulcimers a boy's name. They can't all be girls." (Let's see, Rosa, Queenie, Lucinda, well she's a tomboy . . . )

If she were older, I might have responded, "But the curves, honey, the curves are just so . . . so . . . voluptuous and alluring."

And whoever said "Dragonfly" was a girl anyway?

And she named her dulcimer (an Eedy Beede with dolphin sound holes) "Splash!" A splash ain't got no gender, does it?

Among those of you who name your dulcimers, have you chosen male names, female names, or a combination? Has anyone stuck to those gender-neutral names like Carmen, Pat, Chris, or Alex?

Guitars have always been hermaphroditic, with a female body and a phallic neck. What about dulcimers? (And don't get me started on trombones!)

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 07/31/23 10:31:50PM