Seven Dials, St Giles
musician/member name: Music
Nigel Pennick plays his 'Seven Dials' on chromatic four-string and diatonic electric six string dulcimers. The area of Seven Dials in that parish of St. Giles-in-the-Fields in central London was once a dangerous no-go area called 'The Rookery', dwellings of the underclass and a haven for criminals and escaped slaves. Hogarth's famous engraving 'Gin Lane', depicts the run-down area with the church of St George, Bloomsbury, in the distance. In mid-Victorian times the rookery was cleared and just outside the boundary institutions of control including the St Giles' Workhouse and School were built,. The school stood on the site of a hostelry where a bowl of ale - 'St Giles's Bowl' was given to each convict on his way to be hanged on the gallows near St Giles's church. Later, it was administered from an inn nearer the gallows site, the Angel. St Giles' church dates from 1734, Henry Flitcroft architect. Flitcroft's original model for the church, made as the pattern before the church was built, can be seen inside. St George's church, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor, has a tower based on the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, one of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World. Over a century after it was built, the remnants of the ancient mausoleum were brought to the British Museum nearby, where they remain.