Ban-Jammers

Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
9 years ago
27 posts

I may have to wait a bit longer.  Hubby just bought me a Fender bass guitar and we are taking a trip at the end of the month to see Mom-in-law in Ft Worth, Tx.  It may have to wait until we retire in a couple  of years because I will have to devote a lot of time playing it so I can get real good and take my tin cup out on tour to pay for it.  winker

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

If you decide you want one, order now, as there is a waiting list of several months, minimum.

I'm sure that if you like the sound of a banjo, then you'd like to play the Banjammer!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed
@tumbleweed
9 years ago
27 posts

Jan Potts:

"I always wanted to play the banjo, but discovered that it wasn't physically possible due to arthritis and other issues.  But I CAN lay the Ban-jammer on my lap and play it--so I get the ease of the dulcimer and the sound of a banjo--the best of both worlds!"

Hi Jan:  I have always wanted to learn the banjo too but have some hand issues like yours. I didn't think about it until you posted this.  I love the sound of a banjo and the ban-jammer is an awesome alternative.  Thanks for the thought.

TW

Oliver Ogden
Oliver Ogden
@oliver-ogden
9 years ago
4 posts

Wayne. I think you made a good choice in going with the Mike Clemmer ban jammer. I bought one from him this year and am very happy with it. I also bought a 5 string fiddle side dulcimer that I am also happy with.

Rev. Wayne McAllister
Rev. Wayne McAllister
@rev-wayne-mcallister
9 years ago
17 posts

I've been less than successful finding anyone (group?) here in Derby City that has the passion for ND play as we do. Do you know of anyone?

Actually, as I think about it, several years ago at the Kentucky Music Festival I ran across a lady who played ND "BEAUTIFULLY" (she also teaches dulcimer & clawhammer banjo), maybe I should try to find her. She's a teacher (JCPS - Jefferson County Public Schools) which just happens to be my employer as well. I remember her stating thet ND is "HER" style of choice as well. DUH ME shake

Call me old fashion, I just like to hold on to "some things" traditional. Besides, you can create some "AWESOME SOUNDS" with ND play - I DO (not to sound like a brag) happydance  ND can be 'simple' OR VERY COMPLICATED !!!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,126 posts

The LDS took me as a N&D player back when I lived in KY for a year.  Always loved the "clash" of a group with the initials LDS meeting in a Presbyterian churchtic

Rev. Wayne McAllister
Rev. Wayne McAllister
@rev-wayne-mcallister
9 years ago
17 posts

Jan,

CATS thumbsup

I grew up listening to noter/drone style play and I am "Attempting" to keep that tradition alive - it's the style I prefer - it's who my wife and I are. Actually we have a sign (in the room we practice in) that a friend gave me a few years ago that simply reads Keep It Simple Stupid - KISS for short.

That's who we areclapper  It has only been recently (past several months) that I have ventured into chords, finger dancing etc ...  Sometimes (in regards to your question about the LDS) I get the feeling they don't take to N/D players. Nothing has ever been said but it's just a feeling we get. Nonetheless, that's okay. I don't get upset about stuff like that - that's the Pastor in me AND life is too short. My wife and I do what we do (she plays autoharp along with me) at Church, nursing homes & such and we have a GREAT time - not to mention the folks we play for LOVE our music. Again, we are just husband/wife team that do what's in our hearts. 

I've been having a difficult time getting ahold of Mike that past few days, to order my Ban-Jammer. It's good-ole Time Warner I suppose. Looks like I won't be getting it by Christmas as I had hoped. He needed Christmas orders turned in by the end of September. No BIG deal. I've waited this long I guess I can wait a little longer. I "DO" want to get one ASAP though. We do many of Stephen Fosters songs and I can almost hear them BANJO SOUNDING style.

Have a blessed evening.

Wayne

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

I don't follow football, but I am a big UK basketball fan!

I'm also, as you know, a fan of Mike Clemmer's Ban-jammer!

Do you play with the Louisville Dulcimer Society?

Go CATS!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Rev. Wayne McAllister
Rev. Wayne McAllister
@rev-wayne-mcallister
9 years ago
17 posts

Jan,

THANKS!!!  I've decided that I'm going with Mike's because I agree, there IS NO COMPARISON in the sound(s) that his puts out. You reaffirmed my thoughts/feelings.  I just need to call him and get it ordered so that I can pick it up (while we are on vacation) the week before Christmas.  Don't really want to wait that long BUT ... it is what it is :-)

Noticed you live in Lexington. We will be at the game Saturday (we live in Louisville) and NO I DIDN'T --- I'm a grad of UK!!!  You understand --- it's a BLUE NATION sort of thing.

Wayne

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
400 posts

Hey, Wayne!  I like Mike Clemmer's Ban-Jammer so much that I own 2: a standard-size one with a 1.5 fret and a Clemmer "Cutie" (discontinued) with a shorter scale and no 1.5 fret that I use to introduce other players to the Ban-jammer.  I have heard others made by other luthiers and I prefer the sound of the Ban-jammer....it's as simple as that.

The 3rd annual Ban-Jammer gathering is in Townsend, TN this coming weekend (first weekend in October) and I really wish I could be there, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out for me to do that.  I went the first two years and really enjoyed it, so I'm sure everyone who goes will have a good time!

My personal opinion is that there are many ways to play the Ban-jammer and have it sound good.  Aaron O'Rourke and Stephen Seifert have expert flat-picking and claw-hammer skills and can bring out the very best in a Ban-jammer.  But someone with average dulcimer playing skills can strum "Camptown Races" or fingerpick "Streets of Laredo" and that will sound good, too.  And that banjo "twang" is superb!

I always wanted to play the banjo, but discovered that it wasn't physically possible due to arthritis and other issues.  But I CAN lay the Ban-jammer on my lap and play it--so I get the ease of the dulcimer and the sound of a banjo--the best of both worlds!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Rev. Wayne McAllister
Rev. Wayne McAllister
@rev-wayne-mcallister
9 years ago
17 posts

I visited Wood N Strings in Townsend Tenn this past summer, mainly because I wanted to see/hear Mike's Ban-Jammer. My wife and I have fallen in love with the sound generated. Now we are in the "Exploration Process" looking for a Ban-Jammer, Dulci-Jo OR whatever they might be called (by the various maker). So there's my question: LUTHIERS? and/or your experience with this awesome variation on the MD.

TKS

Wayne

updated by @rev-wayne-mcallister: 08/05/23 05:43:52PM