Hello all! New to the group!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

That certainly is a distinctive style of instrument, from the unusual scroll head to the relief slots in the top of the tail.  I wish you well in finding our more about Mister Pyle.

Here's a link to a short discussion about Pyle and his dulcimer from Everything Dulcimer.com:  http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31812

If you google his name along with the word dulcimer you'll find several mentions of him...

updated by @ken-hulme: 05/20/16 02:05:56PM
LoadedCamera
LoadedCamera
@cbyart
8 years ago
3 posts

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I peeked and poked around on the Dulcimer and found an orange sticker inside one of the cross-shaped sound holes.  It identifies the builder as Paul W. Pyle.  Each of the other sound holes have the "serial number" of 1023 written by hand.  

Strumelia:

Did you look on the INSIDE of the dulcimer for any labels with maker info?  I ask that because it's possible the taped on label in your photo was the name of the dulcimer's owner, not the person who actually made it.

20160520_082903.jpg
20160520_082903.jpg  •  139KB

20160520_082715.jpg
20160520_082715.jpg  •  5.1MB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

Welcome Claud!

If you click on the "Forums" link along the top of any page, you'll see we have forums that focus on various subjects.  I'd suggest you make a new discussion in this forum:  http://fotmd.com/forums/forum/instruments-discussing-specific-features-luthiers-instrument-problems-questions  and put Pyle's name in the thread subject line.  That way, more folks will see it and possibly someone will have more info for you about it.  nod

Did you look on the INSIDE of the dulcimer for any labels with maker info?  I ask that because it's possible the taped on label in your photo was the name of the dulcimer's owner, not the person who actually made it.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
LoadedCamera
LoadedCamera
@cbyart
8 years ago
3 posts

Hello everybody.  I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for having such a great wealth of information on here!

My name is Claud.  I currently reside in Austin, Texas, but will be moving to Lenoir, NC in the next month.  So happy to be heading back to the Mountains where I was happiest!

I have always been a fan of Mountain music and enjoyed the stringed instruments the most.  I have no skills, but lots of desire to learn how to play.

My treasure is a Paul W. Pyle Dulcimer that I "rescued" from someone that was selling it.  They explained that they had no clue what it really was.  I am very curious about the history of this instrument and hope to learn as much as I can about the builder/musician Paul W. Pyle.  I know he is from Tennessee and has written a few books and tabs and also did some teaching about Mountain music.

If anyone has any more information on how to learn more about the dulcimer I have, I would be forever grateful.

Claud Yeiser

LCP-20160517-00018.jpg

LCP-20160517-00019.jpg

LCP-20160517-00016.jpg

LCP-20160517-00020.jpg

LCP-20160517-00021.jpg