Possum board search!

Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
8 years ago
16 posts

Thanks to all for your valuable input......I ended up purchasing a Sweet Woods possum board and am happy with it - however, I don't use it as much as I thought I would and I'm not really sure why! 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Lately I've been using the solid wood case I made for my Knopf Thomas replica as its' "possum box".  Take out the dulcimer, latch the lid, turn the box over (latch side down), and I have a perfect sound box for the instrument.  I made the box from four lengths of 'craft wood' from Home Depot -- I think it cost me $15 all up.   

The Thomas has integral feet, which makes it simple.  You could do the same thing by attaching a couple of 'stand-offs' across the outside width of the bottom

updated by @ken-hulme: 03/16/16 07:59:27AM
joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
8 years ago
73 posts

i used an old ironing board at various venues for years.......demonstrating and selling dulcimers.  i think i still have it in the shed.  anyone close

who would like to have it let me know

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
8 years ago
74 posts

Yes, well I had a brand new looking 30 year old one - at least until I started using it as a possum board lol. Robert also makes a good possum board - and much better looking than the ironing board.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

I'll second Cynthia's ironing board. Off course finding an ironing board today is almost as hard as finding a possum board. Playing standing up allows you to swing with the beat.. Robert.

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
8 years ago
74 posts

Vicki, I used a small ironing board with a couple of pieces of wood which worked great. Also a walnut board with a couple of pieces of wood with rubber bands around them to hold them on. Frankly the ironing board worked better lol.

Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
9 years ago
16 posts

Does anyone have experience using either one of these?  Picture attached. Made by Dave Lynch @ Sweet Woods.

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
9 years ago
84 posts

David Lynch makes a possum board which will fit most instruments. It is not listed on his website so ask in email or on phone.

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

It is comfortable on the lap and there's a big difference in volume. I like the fact that it fits with all my dulcimers. It also has strap buttons if you want to do that.

Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
9 years ago
16 posts

Susie, how comfortable is this type of possum board? Does it sit nicely on one's lap? And, do you notice quite a difference in volume?  Thanks!

Stephanie Muschlitz
Stephanie Muschlitz
@stephanie-muschlitz
9 years ago
4 posts

Hi Vicki,

I have a possum board that came from McSpadden however it is not painted with a scene as you the one you saw. You may want to contact them to see what they have. http://www.mcspaddendulcimers.com. I have a wooden table in my kitchen that is counter height. I sometimes lay my dulcimer on there and play standing. It sounds good and I get to practice while I am waiting for dinner to get done. Susie's adjustable possum board sounds interesting too.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,111 posts

Vicki -- I have a possum board that I made from two 1/4" thich x 6" wide boards of Balsawood that I've glued together.  VERY lightweight!  It can be cut to any shape with a simple X-acto Blade.  If you can't find what you like, drop me a note.  I have several more of those planks available

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

I have four dulcimers including a FolkRoots. I bought an adjustable possum board from Jim VanderWoude at Evart that I can use on all of them. And it even folds down to a size for easy travel. I put some felt pads on it and some clear tubing on the knobs, to ensure it doesn't scratch an instrument. I love it's versatility. Plus he makes them in different types of wood. Mine is cherry.

www.dulcimer store.com

IMG_20150830_145259.jpg

IMG_20150830_145323.jpg

Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
9 years ago
16 posts

Yes, I have already contacted Folkcraft and "no dice". Thanks for sharing Peter's method but I think that would be too heavy on my legs. I'm hoping for something quite lightweight and in the hourglass shape (like the one belonging to the woman that I mentioned initially).  Thanks again............

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

Vicki, you might contact folkcraft to see if they sell possum boards custom fitted for their dulcimers.

But all you really need is a board.  Peter Tommerup just uses a board originally intended for a bookself, and he puts whatever dulcimer he is playing on it.  Here he is in a duet with his wife Leann: https://youtu.be/DWfnkcGS1Y0?t=4m53s .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
9 years ago
16 posts

2 weeks ago at the "August Dulcimer Daze" in Dover, VT, I briefly met a woman who had a McSpadden Dulcimer and a beautiful possum board (separate/detached) that had an evergreen scene etched or painted on it.  She let me try it with my Folkcraft and it fit perfectly!  However, she couldn't remember where she had purchased it..........she said that she was going to try to find out before the festival ended but I never saw her again. :(    She told me that when she purchased the possum board she had a choice of several scenes. Does this ring a bell with anyone?  I'm not so much interested in the decoration but would like to find a possum board that fits my original made-in-CT Folkcraft dulcimers - one is regular and one is baritone. I don't have the time or know-how to make my own.  Picture perfect weather here today in the Northeast Kingdom of VT - now away from the computer and out to the deck to play some music!  Thanks to anyone who can help with my search.

updated by @vicki-moore: 08/30/15 11:17:37AM