Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

That's wonderful, Strumelia!  Thanks for posting.  Paul is a phenomenal player.

The A part does indeed seem unresolved because it goes to the IV chord.  Interestingly, the modern version of the song makes that same move but a bit earlier but then goes into a melody that resembles the B part of Foster's original. The A part of the modern song seems to be a kind of mashup of the two parts of the original.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

Very nice job from Paul--but not the one I know, for sure!  So I guess the one I know is called Angeline the Baker.

Thanks, Strumelia!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke

updated by @jan-potts: 11/08/15 10:41:47PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Jan Potts:
Well, shoot, Strumelia!  Now I'm going to have to get the tab for both and figure out which one it is that I play!  

Hey don't 'shoot' the messenger!  giggle2

The chances that you are playing the more modern oldtime version of Angeline/Angelina are about 90% I'd guess.

When i looked through the Stephen Foster original sheet music, it seemed odd to me because I was so used to the modern version.  Doesn't quite do the 'expected'.

Here's a handy modern site with some basic Stephen Foster info and sheet music, lyrics:  Stephen Foster online songbook

These are Foster's lyrics:  Foster's lyrics   (gotta love the reference to a "wellumscope")

and here is the original sheet music:   http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/catalog/levy:067.003

Here is my banjer friend Paul Draper doing an EXCELLENT job playing and singing the original Stephen Foster Angelina Baker as it was published by Foster in 1850, including the lyrics (and notice how "beat on the old jawbone" became "beat on the old banjo" over time).  Foster's version has a subtle edginess because of the way both the A and B parts have lines that end on a note that sounds unresolved and anticipatory...I just love how rich and alive it all sounds. By the way, Paul shakes a plastic bottle of aspirin for his percussion section rofl   :

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 11/08/15 12:40:34PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

Tull Glazener sells a workshop arrangement of "Over the Rainbow." It comes with a melody and harmony part in tab and a CD that goes over the arrangement measure by measure.  You can find it at his website .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

Well, shoot, Strumelia!  Now I'm going to have to get the tab for both and figure out which one it is that I play!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Angelina Baker is the original tune as written & published by Stephen Foster in 1850.

Angeline The Baker is an oldtime tune/song that was clearly based on Foster's tune, but has evolved differently enough that I would consider them two separate tunes at this point.  If folks tried playing them together, it'd get confusing.

Both versions are 'traditional' - public domain.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow is a modern song that's under copyright, so one has to consider that when playing or distributing it.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 11/07/15 07:19:28PM
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

I think Angeline the Baker and Angelina Baker is a single song with 2 names.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator