What do you all record with?

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
7 years ago
143 posts

I use my phone...which ain't all that good, but is simple.

Steven

David Pedersen
David Pedersen
@david-pedersen
7 years ago
32 posts

Just bought the Tascam DP 008ex. Do I know how to use it yet? Still reading.  It is a 8 track recorder, they say cd quality.

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

No doubt, I got an Echo Dot for christmas, still haven't set it up because I'm waiting for the 15 year old to show me how, well, be honest, to do it for me!!

hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

My 10yod has recorded me on my camera.  That's about all I can muster!  LOL!

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

Thanks Dusty and Jan,

So, I'm such a dinosaur I didn't even know there was voice recording software on my computer.

I went with the Snowball mic, got a decent video cam since a lot of my dulcimers need to be seen too~! :-) 

Jan, you were right the sound quality with the onbard mic isn't great but works, that's why I went with the Snowball, Thanks for the recommendation on that Dusty, Has a lot of great reviews.

I can finally start posting some embarassing clips of me playing badly!!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
399 posts

I have just been using the voice recorder on my laptop.  I started a free account at soundcloud.  When I make a recording I name it and stick it in a folder in some easy-to-find place in my computer.  When I log into soundcloud I select the "Upload" button, and bring up the folder and song.  Then, after it's on Soundcloud, I say I now want to share it and copy the address, and any other pertinent information.  In FOTMD I go to my page and select Audio and add a soundclip from Soundcloud and paste in the address i'd copied.  That's one way to do this.

That being said, my sound quality isn't good, but I cared more about actually getting something recorded and preserved than having a polished product.  It's more of a matter of how much time I wanted to spend working with it and what would be a sequence that would be easy for me to follow and learn.

This may not answer you question, exactly, but I thought I'd go ahead and explain what I was doing!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,727 posts

Hi George,

I struggled with this issue for a while until I eventually broke down and bought a Zoom H4N.  A handheld device that runs on batteries, it makes CD-quality recordings and only takes a few minutes of reading the manual (or watching a YouTube video) to figure out how to use its basic functions.

However, that item is kind of pricey.  Luckily there are lots of good mics that you can use with your laptop.  The Blue Snowflake and Blue Snowball are pretty popular. I had the Snowflake at one point. I also bought a Samson Go Mic that works the same way. It's tiny but it makes a great recording, and you don't have to be right in front of the thing to get clear sound.

All of those items can be used with the sound recording software that comes with your laptop or iPad but are much better than the internal microphone.

Also, please note that there is a whole Group here at FOTMD devoted to Home Recording and I'm sure you'll get better advice there.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/04/17 02:01:55PM
Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
7 years ago
92 posts

I've been wanting to post some sound clips, but seriously technically challenged. Whats the simplest way you all record and post "soundcloud", You tube etc. What are you using to record, or better yet, what do you recommend?

updated by @george-desjardins: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM