Boys of Wexford and Banish Misfortune

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,719 posts

@paula-brawdy, I know this discussion is 5 years old, but a while back I refined my arrangement of Boys of Wexford and wanted to update it here: Boys of Wexford .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
6 years ago
53 posts

Thank you so much Dusty for the tab for Boys of Wexford , I will try it out and let you know... not home much today but sometime this week!  and thanks to Ken for pointing me to Banish Misfortune tab!   You guys are great

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,719 posts

Paula, I've been wanting to learn Boys from Wexford myself, so I began the process of transposing the sheet music to D and arranging some basic harmonic accompaniment.  You can see in the attached pdf what I've come up with so far (I call it a "work in progress," or WIP).  It should get you started.  From here my process will be to listen to as many versions of the song as I can to hear when there should be minor chords instead of major chords.  And then I will begin adding the "filler," meaning the arpeggios and other minor embellishments to fill in the spaces when the melody takes several beats.  If you have any luck with this tab, let me know.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/07/18 11:03:32PM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,719 posts

@paula-brawdy , there is plenty of sheet music for Boys of Wexford available online. Most of it seems to be in the key of G.  It wouldn't be too hard to transpose that to D. But also note that Leo is playing a dulcimer with four equidistant strings.  I'm sure you could figure out how to play the tune in regular DAd tuning, but it won't be exactly like his. Also, he uses the 1+ fret to get a C chord in Banish Misfortune.

Here is Leo's version for reference .  He is a member here, so you might consider contacting him directly.  

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 04/07/18 10:18:38PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,113 posts

Banish Misfortune is in the Everything Dulcimer Tab collection:

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/files/tab/banish_misfortune.pdf

Hopefully we will somehow be able to save Everything Dulcimer before it goes away June 1st!

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
6 years ago
53 posts

I would love to find mtn dulcimer tab for the Boys of Wexford and banish misfortune...I think they are traditional tunes... Does anyone have these tunes... I have been listening to Leo Kretzner play them on youtube!

updated by @paula-brawdy: 02/24/20 09:39:34PM