Private messaging system questions...?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,248 posts

Hi Cheryl!
To send a message, please read through this thread- it has step by step instructions.  Hope it's clear!

NOTE: the private message system on FOTMD is now independent of the "Follower" system.  Members can now send PMs to any other member, regardless of whether they are 'following' each other.  Yay!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 05/11/18 12:00:41PM
CherylC
CherylC
@cherylc
6 years ago
1 posts

I would like to send a message to someone requesting a copy of, or where to purchase a piece of tablature for the song Guy B did called Blow the Candles Out about 4 years ago.  I heard this piece of music and it made me want to join this group :).  Anyway, I'm new here and don't really know how to do any thing on this site :(

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Steve Battarbee:
 Hopefully I won't forget what I did by the time I want to send another!

Tell me about it- happens to me regularly with various things I 'learn'...lol!  Glad you sorted things out.  yes

--
Site Owner

Steve Battarbee
Steve Battarbee
@steve-battarbee
9 years ago
10 posts

Yes I did thanks. mission accomplished! Hopefully I won't forget what I did by the time I want to send another!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Steve, is your issue solved?

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Steve Battarbee:
 Ive tried every combinations of their tag?/name ie @their-name I keep getting an 'invlaid' message

Dusty outlined the method well.  nod

One little detail though- if you are typing in "@" or hyphens when typing in their name, you should not do that-  just start typing their user name without  a @.  Don't put hyphens in either.  For example, for Dusty Turtle, I'd just start typing Dusty...and he would pop up as one of the choices of members who have "Dusty" in their profile name...and I could select him probably before I even get to the "ty" of Dusty.  I would not start typing @dusty-turtle, I'd start typing Dusty.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 12/08/15 11:14:46AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

Steve, in order to send a private message, first hover your cursor over your name in the upper right-hand corner and choose "Private Messages" from the drop-down menu.

Then choose "New Message."

download.jpg

When you get the message box, put the beginning or part of the person's username in the search box, and all the members that have those same characters will show up in a drop-down menu.  Click on the name of the person you want to contact.

Once the recipient's name has been automatically loaded into the recipient field, you can go ahead and 1) give a name or title to your message; 2) add the actual text of the message; and 3) click "send.

I hope that helps.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 12/08/15 11:03:48AM
Steve Battarbee
Steve Battarbee
@steve-battarbee
9 years ago
10 posts

I have found where to access the Private Messages but Ive tried every combinations of their tag?/name ie @their-name I keep getting an 'invlaid' message

Is there an issue or is it just me doing it wrong?

Thanks

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

Thanks Robin!

To send a PM:

As Robin said, Hover on your top navbar NAME LINK, and the drop-dpown menu will show "Private Messages"-  click to get to your Message area.

There you can see past message threads you may have sent or received.  To create a NEW pm, look there top right for "New Message" button.  go there and start typing a name, like John...and all members with John will show in a list as you type (autofill) and you pick which John you want to send it to. and you type your PM and then send.

Make sure you look in your "Notifications TAB" in your Account Settings area, to checkbox the things you would like to receive email notifications on...like be notified when you receive a private message, for example.

Hope this helps!

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 02/28/18 09:42:16PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,415 posts

Hi, Sheila!  

Click on your own name at the upper right side of the page-- your name is next to the magnifying glass search icon.  In the pulldown menu under your name, you will find a link for sending private messages.  

Hope this helps!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,248 posts

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/31/23 09:30:52PM