Cozy Playing Corners

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

It's neat seeing where y'all like to play!  

Carla Maxwell
Carla Maxwell
@carla-maxwell
6 years ago
13 posts

My husband and I live in an old masonic temple building. We have our desks side-by-side in the dining room. It's not a cozy corner, but we are pretty comfortable here. happys

IMG_3892.jpg

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

Giving the photo tutorial a try sun ...here's my "pretty music room" off of the living room, closed with pocket doors, kept simple with the least amount of clutter and bookshelf with musical history, theory, FAKE books etc. A laptop computer (with some music apps) and printer/scanner.  On the left, my little "video recording booth" in my basement music room.  A folding screen, PVC pipe suspending a camera overhead, a clamp light, a cork strip to pin sheets of music, a some storage pockets for picks, tuners, water, pens, READING GLASSES. I've since encased it in quilts and throw rugs as an experiment after seeing Robin's music room.

recording booth before.jpg

music room.jpg

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Yay! Glad it's a little clearer now. It's not the most intuitive function to follow.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

THANK YOU..I was attempting that but only saw it offer up photos I already had posted on this forum, to embed...carried it out further per your instructions and included resize instructions....works perfectly.  So appreciate!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Janene Millen:

Look at Robin and Strumelia.  Their photos appear full-size in the message, not a little postage stamp to be downloaded like ours.

To do that, when you are writing your post you click on the little icon that looks like a film strip ("embed local media")- that icon is to the left of the Smiley button in the text editor window.

Once in that window, select the SIZE you want the image to be in the left side dropdown menu.  XL or XXL works well. Then you click the " Select an image to upload and insert" button to the right.  (To insert an image this way, the image must be on your computer somewhere, not just on the internet someplace). When you click that 'Select' button, it'll take you to where you can browse to the image on your computer that you want to embed in the post. Here's a bit more description for this method:
https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/site-questions-how-do-i/20103/attaching-adding-a-picture-into-my-posts

However- When you see the thumbnail and text link for an image, it's when folks have used the "Attach file" button easily seen at bottom of text editor window. Try clicking right on the thumbnail pic itself to open it right there to see it full size.  Clicking on the text link will simply download it to your computer.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 11/14/18 10:43:21AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Janene Millen:

I had to DOWNLOAD your photo fully, then open it into a PAINT program to see it, then resize it.

Janene, if you click on the TEXT link, it downloads the picture to your computer.  If you click on the thumbnail of the image itself, it should open it right there in a window for you to see full size. Does it not behave the same way for you?  You should not have to download the image if you click directly on the little picture.

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 11/14/18 10:29:42AM
dulcinina
@dulcinina
6 years ago
87 posts

Charles, your playing spot is so neat, in the sense of being tidy.  OK, I confess. I cleaned my nook and got rid of a lot of the clutter.  Posting a picture was a good incentive to clean the area.  The little guy sitting on my desk is a limberjack my father got for me at a flea market over 30 years ago.  I made him dance when some of us played at a hospital recently.  No one had ever seen one before and they really loved it.

As for posting the picture, it took me forever and I was surprised when it worked.  I can't tell you what I did because I tried so many ways until it worked.  Nina (AKA Dulcinina)

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts
I'm on an Android tablet and can see all the photos and attachments just fine. Must be different when you're on a PC.
Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts
RATS Robin. Thanks for feedback..I did do all that by I'm on a PC. Hmmmmmm
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

Friends, I used EMBED LOCAL MEDIA and re-sized the photo-- I'm using an old iPad mini running Safari.  I'm not sure what caused that to work for me and not for anyone else who tried the EMBED route.  

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

Charles, you did the same thing I did.  I had to DOWNLOAD your photo fully, then open it into a PAINT program to see it, then resize it.  Look at Robin and Strumelia.  Their photos appear full-size in the message, not a little postage stamp to be downloaded like ours.

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
6 years ago
77 posts

Janene, I put the photo in by clicking on "attach file" and it shows photos on your desktop, I clicked on the one I wanted. I'm working with a Mac  but I guess it's similar on a PC.

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

Dulcinina, another person who plays on a stool!  I love the "little guy" sitting on a shelf of your desk area.

Charles, that is a very elegant-looking creative area.  I use a folding wooden screen in my music room too (not pretty like yours) as a recording "booth". I'll try to show how I do it.  I just draped fabric all around it, inspired by Robin's set up..haven't tried it yet though.

The people whose pictures are inserted in the message...I don't know how to do that.  I used to.  Everyone else, you have to download the picture, and then open it with an app on your PC to see it.  Because we are using ATTACH FILE maybe?  I tried EMBED LOCAL MEDIA and it didn't work.  What are we doing "wrong"?

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
6 years ago
77 posts

Here's my playing space. The desk and bookcase has lots of tchotchkes, and a small two headed red dragon to guard it all. The screen behind the desk is solid teak, with hand carved appliqués. I do my recordings just to the left in a corner by the door

IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1941.jpg  •  219KB

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

@dulcinina What a lovely playing spot!  

dulcinina
@dulcinina
6 years ago
87 posts

Here's my playing corner.  It's in a spare room I use as my office and get-away place. Nina

Oops. Not sure if my picture attached.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

Janene, I've made recordings in that little spot and I think the wall rugs help give better sound-- less like I'm recording in a bathroom.  :)

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

Robin, I think I'll have to try the textile-megaphone thing in my music room...I have a bunch of quilts folded up...might as well hang them up somewhere. I have a (almost phone-booth sized) nook I use to record vids...I'll hang the quilts and rugs there. Good tip.

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts

Janene Millen:

Was finally able to see your photos Susie...in my Paint program.  You are AMAZINGLY neat and organized...and anyone would be proud to have you own one of their instruments...they look so well cared for!  OMG, I'm sure your pets feel the same way. You are an inspiration :-) !!!

Thank you! Your cozy corner is very pretty!  It's inspiring to have these places where we can sit and play.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

Janene, I like the little stool lots!  My other playing chair is a child's oak chair a friend gave me.  The short stool and chair work well because I'm just over 5' tall.  The rag rugs on the wall may impact sound of the natural megaphone of my little corner.  :)

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

Robin...love seeing your "nook"...the sun pouring through that lovely deep large window..and you play on a stool?! Must have a strong core :-) I'd have my feet propped up on that window sill too.  Your textiles on the wall...does that impact the sound...in any case, it warms up the room. Thanks for sharing

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

image.jpeg

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

I have one of those PC-spots too, papers everywhere...love the highlighting and red marks on the sheet music, the measuring tape (?) and you're messing around with a sheitholt (6 strings)? Interesting...

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Here's the cozy and  messy area on my desk next to my computer where I try out new music projects and tunes.  ;D

DSC03160.JPG

--
Site Owner

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

Was finally able to see your photos Susie...in my Paint program.  You are AMAZINGLY neat and organized...and anyone would be proud to have you own one of their instruments...they look so well cared for!  OMG, I'm sure your pets feel the same way. You are an inspiration :-) !!!

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

Susie..I can't open your JPGs. What am I doing wrong...anybody?  I'm prompted to SAVE then OPEN...when I indicated OPEN I'm prompted further for which app etc....this is on my PC.

I did go to a program to reduce the size of the photo I offered from 5MG down to 1.4MG ...is that the difference? I would really love to see your pictures. 

Although I have a music room in the basement (where I record vids) and another small (rarely used) one off the living room...I find myself most often sitting in my "Cozy Corner" to do some spontaneous playing.  I also love to see individual music rooms too...get some tips on features and organization. Any places you love to play. I love that you include your fur-babies and family history.

Susie
Susie
@susie
6 years ago
500 posts
I have a dedicated music room on our second floor. I surround myself with everything music, past and present. My memories from 6 years of band are on the wall and I have a picture of my grandfather with his fiddle that I now own and play. My current collection of instruments is always close at hand. The oak cabinets were made by my husband and me. I have two dog beds for my fur-babies. There are two Pick-n-Glider chairs for playing by myself or with friends and a love seat for those who come to listen.
Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
6 years ago
28 posts

I would love to see where you most like to sit and noodle around on your dulcimer.  As colder weather approaches I think these little nooks are so important. 

I'll start with my favorite spot.  A (cluttered) window seat area between my kitchen and living room.  A sunny window seat for my pups, a cage stand for my birds (their day time perch), a glider (with arms unfortunately). A little stand for a cup of coffee, pencils, glasses..phone, e-reader etc., added a little book shelf under the bird cage. I print out songs I want to learn (predominantly lyrics) on 11 X 17 sheets of paper and hang them with a "pants" hanger on the PVC cage frame.  Wild bird bath (just plugged in for winter) and bird feeders a few feet away on the deck.  Can monitor the laundry in the mudroom, the soup on the stove, and the front door from this spot.  My Echo dot is close by and can take a break to listen to an audible book...or draw from my Amazon music playlists.  Retirement is lovely and my house is never clean.  I'm spoiled. 

Having just described all this, I can see why my "practice" is so unfocused.

Please share your cozy corners.

cozy corner fotmd.jpg
cozy corner fotmd.jpg  •  339KB

updated by @janene-millen: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM