What Type of Wood for Warmth from a 25" VSL?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,252 posts

I find that dulcimers with larger bodies and TALLER bodies (not shallow) tend to have bigger rounder voices. Tops made of softwood like spruce or redwood seem to have lots of resonance, like guitars do. Walnut is known for sounding 'warmer' than say maple or cherry, which is a bit brighter and crisper. I've had one of each and found that true in my case. If you are plugging in, you can control the volume pretty easily.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
10 years ago
2,124 posts

Get the wood combination that looks best to you. On a list of things which affect the tone of a dulcimer, the species of wood(s) is pretty far down the list. All else being equal, wood choice will matter somewhat, but the characteristics you're seeking can be obtaining in a variety of ways that have nothing to do with wood species. What you call 'warmth' and volume will come from the larger than average volume of the body.

Kimberly Anne Schultz
Kimberly Anne Schultz
@kimberly-anne-schultz
10 years ago
5 posts

My diatonic McSpadden Dulcimer will soon have a chromatic Folkcraft Friend. But the VSL will be only 25" on this new one, with a Fishman pick up (This diatonic is 28"). A high volume body because of the shorter VSL (unlike this diatonic), but what type of wood should I get? This one will be a plug in for recording, but I still am seeking a warm loud sound, so I'm thinking African Mahogany or Black Walnut, and how to split this up if at all? (sbrd - body/sides). I was tempted to get sitka spruce for sbrd, but I heard one at this VSL being played and the warmth was removed. How to achieve warmth and "fat sound" without mudiness?

I guess I'll use the diatonic McSpadden now just for "n and d" old fashioned tunes and the chromatic for chording songs. My hands are tiny as so am I....and very arthritic. the VSL of my McSpadden is too long and it's painful for me to chord. So this is why I want a chromatic dulcimer. I can't hold my hands in a guitar playing position anymore.

The McSpadden is solid cherry, and I love the ringing warmth it projects.

I keep searching the web for sound bytes of solid walnut 25" VSls, and the same for Mahogany but can't find any samples to listen to.

updated by @kimberly-anne-schultz: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM