@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

Yes, that's very nice  Robert

marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

I have my other dulcimer with a (suitcase strap) hooked on with a tie, no button. It  had a lot of room to slip something around the end. So yes, I could do that but there isn't a lot of room on the red stain dulcimer, so checking into the different ways. 

Thanks, all good to know

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

I use violin end pins as strap buttons. I think ebony wood looks more appropriate on a wood instrument. very easy to install, just drill a hole and glue it in... Robert...

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Strumelia has an excellent video on her blog about how to attach a strap to the head of the dulcimer, if you don’t have a button, or don’t want to add a button.  

http://dulcimer-noter-drone.blogspot.com/2010/02/video-tips-for-beginners-home-made.html

marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

Was only thinking of one end. Soap, I had not thought of that. I didn't even think of drilling the hold, just putting the screw in. Will watch a vIdeo and tackle this project also.

Thanks again, everyone. When I am finish getting the red stain dulcimer together and post a video, know you all had a hand in helping me set it up.

Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
9 years ago
80 posts

+1 on Ken's suggestions.  Sometimes you see the nut-end strap button installed through the side, but it is still drilled into the solid block at that end.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

Don't over-think things.  However, strap buttons do need to be installed into the ends of the dulcimer, not the sides.  The ends have solid blocks of wood in them there so there's "no worries" about drilling a hole there.  Drill a slightly undersized hole for the screw, soap the threads and install.  Easy peasy. 

Monica
Monica
@monica
9 years ago
64 posts

I installed my strap buttons with a little help from "youtube". Its a lot easier and less scary than you think. After drilling the holes ( very carefully) role the screws in a dry bar of soap before attaching the buttons. No glue is necessary. 

marg
@marg
9 years ago
616 posts

Do we need to worry about the wood before we install a strap button? If it's too thin how would it hold without pulling the screw out and messing up the end of the dulcimer? Should we put some glue also, would this help hold the screw in?  Is this something any of us can do? 

updated by @marg: 08/03/23 02:20:25PM