56 posts

Thanks for that John.

john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

Hi Anne,

There are a lot of different sets of lyrics for this song, and a bit of variation in the tunes.

'Whip Jamboree' has a similar tune.

This one is pretty standard :

Let me know if a sound clip would help.

updated by @john-p: 12/28/15 11:45:56AM
Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Yes, I've heard Santiano on Youtube. It's so rollicking .... I'm not sure if it was a version by Tri Yann, a group I like very much. I found them at the same time as I discovered Malicorne..., as well as the talented Denez Prigent. Such a wealth of music that we miss out on if we stick solely to English language songs....

updated by @anne-bowman: 12/28/15 01:36:53AM
Pierre-Yves Donnio
Pierre-Yves Donnio
@pierre-yves-donnio
9 years ago
9 posts

Anne, Santiano is a French version of the English sea shanty Santy Anno (or Santy Anna). You can hear it on Youtube by the Kingston Trio. Sorry, no dulcimer tab.

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Any dulcimer tabs/music for Santiano? ...

Marc.mathieu, connaissez-vous cette chanson ?

Pierre-Yves Donnio
Pierre-Yves Donnio
@pierre-yves-donnio
9 years ago
9 posts

Joe, you're right! This is an american dulcimer, not an epinette.

joe sanguinette
joe sanguinette
@joe-sanguinette
9 years ago
73 posts

looks like an american dulcimer.  epinettes that i have seen have many more strings.

Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
9 years ago
80 posts

In the video there are a bunch of instruments on the stage, including what looks like a mountain dulcimer on a stand at the far left (stage right).  Also what I think might be a bowed psaltery downstage.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Ken Hulme:
Is the instrument an American Mountain Dulcimer?  Or a French Epinette, like the Epinette des Vosges???

In one photo it looked like a MD. But in 1974 any thing was possible.  Robert.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

Is the instrument an American Mountain Dulcimer?  Or a French Epinette, like the Epinette des Vosges???

updated by @ken-hulme: 11/06/15 06:52:03AM
Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
9 years ago
56 posts

Je suis d'accord ..  thumbsup  .. I discovered Malicorne when I went looking for a French equivalent to 'Steeleye Span' , as a result of being part of a French conversation group ...... I also discovered Alain Stivell,Tri Yann and Angelo Branduardi at the same time. I figured a folk revival fuel for folk rock in England must have crossed the Channel in some form..

Pierre-Yves Donnio
Pierre-Yves Donnio
@pierre-yves-donnio
9 years ago
9 posts

Hi Dusty! I would say that Malicorne is the French equivalent of Steeleye Span. They began to play during the 70's. Most of their tunes are played with a dulcimer or a épinette des Vosges. By example the fifth tune of the concert is a dance called "Bacchu Ber" from the Alpes mountain, played on a dulcimer tuned cAD.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

C'est super cool, ça!  Thanks for letting us know about that, Pierre!  I obviously need to get to know Malicorne better, huh?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Pierre-Yves Donnio
Pierre-Yves Donnio
@pierre-yves-donnio
9 years ago
9 posts

Malicorne, the most famous French folk band is touring again with a new split including founder members Gabriel Yacoub, Marie Sauvet, and Laurent Vercambre. Hurdy-gurdy, nickelharpa ... and dulcimer!

http://concert.arte.tv/fr/malicorne-au-paleo

updated by @pierre-yves-donnio: 02/09/21 08:25:09AM