Gaspe Reel - Canadian fiddle tune

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Sorry V., I'm not Pete..it was just a link to a you tube video. ... like I had that kind of talent.............however, that is the tune from Victory Garden, the original.  There is another series of that show that uses an old Scot tune.   By the way, I wish I could play that button box like Pete Fletcher.

Try version 1............I am going to delete the previous since I don't want anyone else to think I can play like Pete Fletcher....I can barely play a radio...........so remember.............youtube, Pete Fletcher ....Gaspe Reel, OK.

updated by @salt-springs: 01/27/16 08:52:32AM
Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
8 years ago
16 posts

Thank you Pete........ I love it! Now I just have to figure out which of Rob's 3 tabs is the one that is the same as yours.

Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
8 years ago
16 posts

Thanks so much, Rob!  Now we just have to figure out which version is the one being requested by the "admirer" of our group.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

On utube look for Gavin Atkin. He's a button accordion player who plays this tune and many others slow. Very easy to learn from his videos..

I discovered my recorded version has a c part that was not part of the original tune. It was added by some Canadian fiddlers, taken from the tune Money Musk... neat huh... Robert...

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Well, I found a 3rd setting of Reel de Gaspe.  Here they are.

pdf
reel de gaspe.pdf  •  76KB

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

According to thesession.org ( https://thesession.org/tunes/3767) there are 2 different tunes called by this name.  I hope to have both of them tabbed tonight or tomorrow.  When I do I'll post them both on here, so you can tell me which one is the one you want.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Dan Goad:
 Vicki, Marc is a member here on FOTMD.  Go to his page, hit Follow and send him a short message.  I'm sure that Marc willl respond quickly unless he is on the road performing.
  ... or stuck in a snow drift!

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
8 years ago
155 posts

Vicki, Marc is a member here on FOTMD.  Go to his page, hit Follow and send him a short message.  I'm sure that Marc willl respond quickly unless he is on the road performing.

Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
8 years ago
16 posts

Thanks to all of you for your help. Marc Mathieu had crossed my mind but I don't know how to contact him. I see a lot of references to him on-line and, of course, u-tubes..........but I don't think he has a website.  

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
8 years ago
252 posts

I made this recording of Gaspe Reel a few years ago in Dadd although I play it today mostly in Daa. I learned mine from listening to fiddle players and is a bit different than the Bill Spence version your thinking of.  Although challenging at first its a simple tune and fun to play... Robert... 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

BTW.........forgot to mention that tab is for Hammered dulcimer.. .but you might be able to tune to DAD and drop the tab number back one and have it put you in the ball park..........so if it says hammer 6, play 5 etc.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

http://www.lssds.com/music.shtml

I think there is tab for one version listed on this site.............check it out.................

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Send a note to Marc Mathieu, he may be able to help.  He's not from the Gaspe, but he's closer than most of us and loves Canadian tunes.

Not exactly the kind of tune you're going to find dulcimer tab for...  If you have the sheet music one of your group may be able to work out the tab from that...

updated by @ken-hulme: 01/22/16 12:06:57PM
Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
8 years ago
16 posts
Hi folks, this tune was written as a theme song for Crocket's Victory Garden
and our northern VT dulcimer group has been asked more than once if we can play
it. However, we cannot locate tab.......can anyone help us?
Thanks in advance!

updated by @vicki-moore: 01/21/16 08:02:09AM