Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,732 posts

Look out, Dana's gone electric!  She's gonna be playing Pete Townshend power chords soon and rockin' the neighborhood.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,096 posts

Glad it worked out for you.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Ken, thank you SO MUCH for that link! That's what I bought and I love how it feels. And now all my mistakes can be heard all the more better, haha! Thanks for everyone's advice!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,125 posts

Yup.  That's what I learned to call wires that plug into things at both ends -- a cableclapper

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,096 posts

Me, too, Ken. How about pickup cable?

Ken

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,125 posts

I've gotta laugh.  Everytime I see the subject of this thread I think "Pick Up Cord -- that should be "pick up NOTE", not "CHORD".

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,096 posts

I don't know if the output jack on your dulcimer is on the end piece, but if it is, I like to use a right angle 1/4 inch plug at one end of the cable and a straight plug at the amp end. Here is a link to one I found at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/KIRLIN-IWB-202BFGL-10-CA-10-Feet-Instrument/dp/B00Y4S67OM/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1460511789&sr=8-5&keywords=guitar+cable

Like with anything else, you get what you pay for. Get the best quality cable you can afford to preserve the quality of your sound.

Ken

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
391 posts

Go to any Guitar Center or Radio Shack or Best Buy store, and they will have something you can use.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

A 1/4 male one............and the other end to match your amps input...............what amp do you have?

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Sorry, I forgot I posted this! So it looks like the pickup is a 1/4 inch female end piece. What kind of cord do I order (through amazon most likely) to attach to my little amp?

I would appreciate any specifics here (insert clueless smilie face) :) 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,096 posts

What John said. Most pickups will use a 1/4" in jack with a female end. The cord will have two mail jacks. One plugs in to the dulcimer and the in to the amp.

Ken

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
391 posts

What do the 2 jacks look like?  A 1/4" phone jack is pretty much the standard for guitars, amps, mikes, etc.

Sometimes you run across a 1/8" phone jack, in which case you can get a little adapter to go from one to the other.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

I got a super fun little amp from Mike Clemmer and while I hope to use it playing at the nursing home, right now I like to use it to better hear my finger picking. I got a Gallier and it has a pick up but I don't know what type of cord I would use to put the two together. Any advice? Thanks! 

updated by @d-chitwood: 06/08/16 09:24:05PM