Advice for KY Music Week

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

dulcinina: I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the classes.  I've been playing a year and my dulcimer group leader said I need to start taking intermediate classes.

After attending your first class on Monday, you may find that you made an error in judgment that is significant to warrant a change of classes.  You may do that Monday. 

If you know a month or a week ahead of time, however, that you seriously goofed, then it's best to contact Nancy at KMW and make the switch before you arrive.

I am looking forward to getting to know my FOTMD Friends that week!  Please stop me and say "Hi!".  You might want to order some FOTMD member pins from the home page so you're identified to others as a member of FOTMD.  It's so much fun to actually meet in person!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Kandee:

I think recording the class is a great idea but should I ask permission from the instructor first? 

Yes, do ask on that first day, if they don't bring it up in their introduction.  Some won't care at all and others may only want you to record parts of the class.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Minimum:  one dulcimer, music stand, electric tuner (sold on site if you don't have one), one set of folders (I have one for each class in 5 different colors), paper and pen/pencil for notes, and some sort of tote bag big enough to carry: your music stand (if it folds up), your class folders, some sort of small bag (Ziploc or a zippered pencil case works well) for your pen, pencil, picks, tuner, noter, capo, Fast Fret, extra strings, etc.

Vendors sell picks and tuners, noters, music stands, cases, etc. etc. so if you get there and discover you forgot something, you can probably get it on site.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
8 years ago
84 posts

Since it is usually warm and humid a rain jacket or umbrella. I like huge garbage bags into which an instrument can be placed for weather protection. Attire is very casual. People helpful. Wonderful instructors and entirely too much temptation from goodies so bring a list of music you have at home. Leave your music at home since you will be provided with same in classes. Be a part of jams even if you don't know the music or speed. Listen and play whatever notes you recognize - tunes are played several times. Nobody expects perfection and everyone goofs. So relax and have fun.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

I have to admit that I'm jealous of those of you who can attend week-long festivals in general and KMW in particular. Between work and family I just can't get away for that long.  Someday . . . when I retire . . .

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Kandee
Kandee
@kandee
8 years ago
25 posts

Making my first trip to KMW this year.  Attended the shorter winter KMW and loved every minute of it.  Really looking forward to being immersed in music for five whole days.  I think recording the class is a great idea but should I ask permission from the instructor first? 

Lizzy
Lizzy
@lizzy
8 years ago
1 posts

Thank you, dulcinina. I, too, am headed to Kentucky music week and am a little confused about all the class choices and just what I should be concentrating on. So far, the information here has been very helpful to me. 

dulcinina
@dulcinina
8 years ago
87 posts

Yep, Dusty, it was the spider exercise.  And I just looked on my cell and there is a voice recorder.  Who knew?  You all have been so helpful.  Thanks again.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Back before al the cellphones had digital recorders built in, I bought a small handheld DR for something like $30, and recorded every minute of every class.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

You may want to record the instructor playing the pieces you are working on.  Usually, he or she will demonstrate each piece once before going over it section by section. It can be really helpful to know what things should sound like at full speed.

Did Aaron show you the spider exercise where he moves the fingers of his left hand two-at-a-time?  That's pretty tough at first.  The only person I've met who could do it perfectly the first time is my daughter's piano teacher, and she could do it with both hands.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
dulcinina
@dulcinina
8 years ago
87 posts

Thanks for all your suggestions.  What do people record on a device?  I actu8llay took a workshop from Aaron at Pine Mountain where you gave us a funky finger exercise.  Still trying to do that.  I am going to get out of my comfort zone.  Thanks for the encouragement to do that. Nina

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 years ago
259 posts

Ken, This is such good advice. I am going to 2 workshops within the next two weeks. I did exactly what you advise, but have been nervous that I 'overeached'. Your words have helped me. Thanks

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Take the workshops that sound interesting to you, regardless of level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced).  Whether you can keep up, or do everything the others are doing is irrelevent.  You will learn something whether you use it immediately or not.  And the fun part is that six weeks or a year later you'll have these great Ah Ha! moments when something you learned sinks home or suddenly makes perfect sense.

Aaron O'Rourke
Aaron O'Rourke
@aaron-orourke
8 years ago
3 posts

I strongly advise bringing some kind of recording device. If your phone can do it, great! You don't need anything too fancy. I recommend this not just for workshops but for the jams as well... which can be just as educational as the workshops.

Also, don't feel too overwhelmed by classes! Workshop based festivals, especially weeklong festivals, are not intended for you to show up with the ability to play everything that's presented to you by the end of the week. I think a good workshop is one that sheds new light on musical ideas you can explore for weeks and months. And if something is not making sense, most teachers like when students ask questions. So don't be too shy...

See you there!

Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
8 years ago
32 posts

a spare set of strings might be handy if needed.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,720 posts

A tuner and a capo.  Maybe some clothespins or something to clip music onto your stand.  And bring some kind of recording device; a smartphone will do.  I would also bring something to write with and on in case you want to take notes.  

Bring some cash so you can buy CDs and books and stuff.

And I would agree with your dulcimer group leader. Challenge yourself. I lead a free beginner's workshop every month and too many people have been coming for a long time, refusing to accept the fact that they are really intermediate players now. The beginner material is comfortable to them but no longer challenges them.  A good workshop should be just beyond your reach, so that you have to go home and work on the stuff for a while.

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
dulcinina
@dulcinina
8 years ago
87 posts

I need advice from veterans of instructional festivals.  This is my first time at a long music week and I wonder what I should bring with me besides my dulcimer, music stand and picks.  Are there things you always take or wish you had brought? I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the classes.  I've been playing a year and my dulcimer group leader said I need to start taking intermediate classes. Dulcinina