Your Online Dulcimer Buying Adventures!

Estes George
Estes George
@george-desjardins
8 years ago
92 posts

My personal experience has been very good and have found some of my most collectible, favorite dulcimers on E Bay, Bill Davis, Bob Mize, John Stockard, Warren May, and most recently a Homer Ledford in fantastic condition.

My biggest disappointments have been on the selling end, and with the USPS that completely destroyed 2 that I had sold and packed in my usual type A method.

I am fortunate enough to have not been let down by any I have purchased sight unseen and sound unheard.

My only surprises were my first accidental discovery of Just Intonation with an on line purchase, took me awhile to figure out that it wasn't a defect, it was built that way, and my first "floating bridge". I had always had fixed bridges, so when I went to restring it the bridge fell off and I was horrified thinking I had broken it.

updated by @george-desjardins: 08/07/16 07:12:55PM
Rick Probst
Rick Probst
@rick-probst
8 years ago
7 posts

As far as selling online, I have never had anyone ask to return one. Since I'm out here on the left coast most of my sales have been online. If someone did want to return one, I would share (or in some circumstances) pay the cost of the return shipping. 

John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
8 years ago
124 posts

Three of the four dulcimers currently in my possession were bought sight unseen, sound unheard. One was used, a Music Traditions from 1980 which arrived in advertised condition, one a custom teardrop from Kevin Merchant, a beautiful semi-traditional, semi-modern instrument, one a Feather Wren, a lovely, quiet thing, perfect for weekend trips. The only one I have that I played before I bought is a Warren May, purchased in his shop in Berea April 1st of this year. It is a beautiful thing and getting better-sounding every day. All three of these makers are active, are fair in their prices, and make wonderful instruments.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

Currently in the works for me is a Feather Dulcimer, and I am beside myself with excitement!  

ETA I figured y'all might be tired of my first dulcimer story bought sight unseen nor heard?  It was a gloriously life-changing experience! Via YouTube I have heard the Feather Dulcimer.

updated by @hugssandi: 08/07/16 03:57:32PM
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

I did my research and chose to buy from our local luthiers' of our wonderful site and could not be happier with my 2 dulci's.

I love the history and stories of the old time builders and also play noter/drone. First, because I love the sound and second because, of the lack of ability of my fingers and comfort because of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I also live in Central MT, where a MD has not been seen and heard, so buying on line is my option, I don't think I am brave enough to buy from someone outside of our site, an unknown seller. I really enjoy following the process of our Luthiers' who share with us on our site.

As you can see in my picture I choose a Thomas replica by Kevin Messanger which is a real joy to play and a beautiful instrument.

I also have a Butternut by Robert Schuler who models after Jefferies, it is a real beauty and provides me with a balance of modern and old time sounds and playing. If you are interested, I have pictures of each on my page.

My future dulcimer purchases will be from other lutheriers' of our site. They are wonderful people, honest and treat you with alot of care. Unfortunately, I am not in a position right now to satisfy my wants of more wooden beauties with strings from several other exceptionally talented Luthiers from our site, but I have my list. dulcimer

updated by @lexie-r-oakley: 06/18/16 02:47:34PM
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
8 years ago
207 posts

Does anyone own a dulcimer built by Lee Pack in Weaverville, NC.    I am told they have the old time silvery sound and are unique in this respect.  If you know of a sound file or audio clip that would be great.

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
8 years ago
143 posts

3 of my 4 dulcimers were bought online...Folkcraft, Johnny Pledger, and John Knopf...all great dulcimers! The only way I have to purchase a good-quality dulcimer is online...the closest music stores (about 50 miles away) tend to only sell cheap, foreign-made, mass- produced dulcimers.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
389 posts

I have not had any problems buying online from eBay sellers.  The items and descriptions were fine, and they all arrived in good shape.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,088 posts

For the most part my Internet buying has been good. I did buy one off eBay where the seller did not disclose that one side had a crack in it, but I was able to fix it without any problem and the price was right. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Well, I've only had 2 that were unplayable; Kevin Messenger has one of them, but I haven't decided if it's worth a new fretboard.  The other is here at the house as a reminder to "be careful."  I've bought off ebay, goodwill, here, and if it wasn't for a lack of money (since I haven't worked since June) I've seen a couple recently I would have had to try.

The best might have been a John D Tignor, one of his larger, later ones.  The picture was way too dark, but I thought I knew what I was bidding on, and sure enough, I did.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

My friend says I have DAS. Dulcimer Acquisition Syndrome.

I am playing two now, have a third that is falling off my fav list and a fourth that has been delegated to the guest room. I would like to find a shorter vsl. In watching goodwill, ebay, this site and others, I sometimes see a piece that catches my eye. 

But not playing said instrument...that's a risk for sure. I'm curious if yall have any tales, tall or not, about buying a dulcimer sight unseen and how it ended up.   dulcimer

updated by @d-chitwood: 02/17/20 10:00:55PM