Dulcimer Duets

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

My guitar buddy, Houseboat Jim, and I are working up Love Me Tender/Aura Lee for guitar and dulcimer. Two dulcimers would be even easier.  We alternate Aura and Love Me verses and choruses, each singing in turn.  I do the Aura Lee parts and he does the Love Me Tender bits.

Aura VerseLove Me chorusLove Me VerseAura Chorus

and repeat

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
8 years ago
56 posts

Thanks Rob. You're a scholar and a gentleman ... as they say..

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Dusty's advice is good and is a great way to start off playing duets.  If I can get the darn thing off my onedrive, I'll send you a copy of a duet arrangement I've done.

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
8 years ago
56 posts

Thanks everyone. Knew you'd come through. Hey Guy, working out Bonnie Sweet Robin from watching your video, so thanks for that. It's working for DAD, but what tuning were you in? I've had no luck finding a copy of Randy's book...

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Heidi Muller also has a duet book out called Dulcimer Duos.

You could also just use regular tab with chords and one of you can play the melody while the other chords.  Then you switch around.  If you start adding different voicings of chords (for example, in DAD you play 0-0-2 for D the first verse but then move to 2-3-4 for the second verse and 4-5-7 for the third, etc.) and playing the melody on the bass string for a spell, you can create pretty interesting arrangements that don't take a whole lot of planning.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Skip
Skip
@skip
8 years ago
359 posts

Sue Carpenter has some in her "Joined In Harmony' book.

Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
8 years ago
25 posts

Hi Anne,

Beth Lassi and Nina Zanetti have done a series of four lovely duet books.  The Dulcimer Association of Albany has played some of them at meetings I have attended.  I recommend them highly.  Check them out at http://www.ninazanetti.com/.  Enjoy!!

I include two duets (Morning Has Broken and Scarborough Fair, and a round, Oh How Lovely is the Evening, in my instruction book, Beyond the Basics .  Details and sample tab at www.cabinhillmusic.com.

Best wishes,

Linda

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
8 years ago
56 posts

Seeing I've recruited a player with whom there exists a possibility of playing dulcimer TOGETHER!!!!yeah

I'm looking for recommendations for tabs for dulcimer duets. We have Dona Nobis Pacem to start with, but all suggestions gratefully received... please...