AppalAsia - mountain dulcimer, erhu, banjo

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,725 posts

It's indeed a striking collaboration.  Thanks for sharing this, Robin.

For those who like enjoy this kind of east-west mashup, you might be interested in the recent Smithsonian Folkways album by Wu Fei and Abigail Washburn and produced by Bela Fleck.  Here is a live performance of one of the tunes, which has no dulcimer, unfortunately, but some wonderful singing as well as soothing banjo and guzheng:

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/27/21 10:00:34PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,421 posts

I'm happy you enjoyed the video, Nina!  

dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

That was incredible.  Thanks for posting it. Nina

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,421 posts

@dulcinina I listened to the interview yesterday evening-- so good!  And just watched this YT video (of a song I have from one of their cd's):

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,421 posts

Thanks, Nina-- I'll have to check it out! 

Jeff Berman & Sue Powers played a little outdoor show with another group of which the are a part, Devilish Merry, in '19 and I got to see them in that yet would also love to see AppalAsia 'live', too.

dulcinina
@dulcinina
3 years ago
87 posts

Hi Robin, There is an interview of the group AppalAsia on Hearts of the Dulcimer Podcast.  It's episode #021.  Nina

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,421 posts

I just watched this video from AppalAsia this morning and like it very much.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 01/26/21 10:31:34AM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

I hear you, Strumelia!  :)

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Robin... it's tempting, but no way!

For exotic bowed instruments, I have my jouhikko(tagelharpa), have a little cheap rebec, have my Cretan Lyra, and have a Langspil being currently made.  Spreading myself too thin just results in my being a crappy player on all of them!  I'm having fun ...but I really don't need to add yet another learning curve instrument to the mix.  shakeNo

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
420 posts

That's a pretty cool discussion. I hadn't started playing the dulcimer again when it took place in 2010.  Oh to know several years ago what I know today about older dulcimers and players, etc.   I'm ordering my copy of Anne Grimes book today!  

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

Strumelia, go for the erhu!  :) 

updated by @robin-thompson: 01/28/21 08:33:41AM
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
420 posts

Oh, and Jeff's dulcimer is an old Dennis Dorogi that was given to him.  Note that there are no 1/2 frets on it.  Also, Jeff told me he never plays in DAd.  He uses a lot of tunings, but for some reason that's not one of them.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Erhu.... another wonderful and exotic instrument that I idly dream of being able to play...  zzz

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

I have one of their cd's and want to get the other one.  The music is captivating. 

Dusty, I, too, like Jeff's percussive sounds. 

Rob, I wish I could've gone to Jerry's fest in '16 and heard 2/3 of the group.  

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/27/18 06:40:19AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,725 posts

Wow!  This stuff's really good and really interesting.  I like Jeff's percussive style of playing the dulcimer.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
6 years ago
420 posts

They are really good, aren't they? And Jeff (dulcimer) and Susan (banjo) are such nice folks, too.  Anyone who gets the opportunity to see them live shouldn't miss it.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,421 posts

I listened to Appalasia's music on my car's cd player this evening.  Listening reminded me how much I like their unique blend of instruments and evocative compositions.

updated by @robin-thompson: 03/26/18 07:16:18PM
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Thanks Rob, it is interesting how they combined the instruments and make them work together. I really enjoyed learning about these musicians.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,421 posts

Hey, thanks, Rob!  

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Here's a link to some of their music and interviews, I thought it was really interesting.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,421 posts

Golly, I don't know about Jeff's instrument, Rob; you'd know better than I do.  I'm hoping to make it to the concert at Jerry Rockwell's fest yet may not know until last minute whether I'll get to go or not. 

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

I'm going to wait and see if Jeff has any cds at SE Ohio.  Save the shipping  lol.  Can't wait to meet him.  Love players who play like he does using no extra frets.  In fact, is that an old Capritaurus he's playing?  Scroll over a "flat head" was something they used wasn't it?

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,421 posts

I'm glad you ladies enjoyed seeing Appalasia!  I've ordered a cd.  :) 

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

This is a very wonderful threesom of musicians thanks for pointing this out to us Robin. I really enjoyed hearing them play.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

I love a dulcimer (of course), can't play but love a banjo, and I actually dream of an erhu (because of my K-drama love)!  ~this is amazing~  Thank you for sharing!!!!  Perfection!

updated by @hugssandi: 08/19/16 09:27:53PM
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,421 posts

http://appalasia.com

updated by @robin-thompson: 01/26/21 10:31:53AM