6 String guages and tuning

N9LO
N9LO
@n9lo
7 years ago
3 posts

My .032 strings got here.   The notes I was tuned for was C4 C4, G3 G3, C4 C3.   Originally .012 .012, .014 .014, .012 .022.  I tried the bass string C3 C2 as .022 .032.    The .032 when tuned for C2 was too lose and would buzz on the fret-board and against the other .022 bass  string.   Now I'm going back to the original setup.  So my experiment failed but it was fun trying.  

marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

N9LO:

Love your 'ugly' stick. Would love to hear it

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
7 years ago
252 posts
N9LO:

My scale length is 28".  It is for my "Ugly Stick" I just made.  It is called "Ugly Stick" because I built an "Ugly Amp" to go with it.

Ugly Stick.JPG

Nice creation, If I were you, I would take advantage of the low cost and build many variations. There are many fret, scale options and tunings you could try out at very little cost. As for strings, I always start with the lightest and seriously spend time playing before jumping to heavier gauges... Good luck... Robert...
N9LO
N9LO
@n9lo
7 years ago
3 posts

My scale length is 28".  It is for my "Ugly Stick" I just made.  It is called "Ugly Stick" because I built an "Ugly Amp" to go with it.

Ugly Stick.JPG

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
7 years ago
252 posts
Knowing scale length would be helpful. Robert.
Matt Berg
Matt Berg
@matt-berg
7 years ago
93 posts

You didn't mention what part you are planning to play.  If you are going to play a true bass line, as implied by the CCGGCc tuning, then the CCGGcc tuning will sound funny when you play the melody strings.

If you are trying to play melody with a deeper drone then the CCGGcc tuning would make more sense.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
7 years ago
420 posts

I think you had the right idea to begin with.  cc GG Cc is what I would have used (melody to bass;) should have given it a sound similar to a 12 string guitar

N9LO
N9LO
@n9lo
7 years ago
3 posts

I built a 6 string and I have a question about string gauges and tuning.  The people I play with tune CGC.  I tried CCGGCc.  It sounded good but the lady that teaches suggested I try CCGGc-c  which I am trying to say is that the first bass string is low c and the next bass string is another octave lower kind of like a baritone.  I was using a 12-12, 14-14, 12-22 and am thinking of making the bass strings 22- and 30 or 32.  What do you all think?