Waiter’s tray stand

Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
6 years ago
36 posts

Hi Don -

I purchased mine at the Evart, MI Funfest this summer and I think it was about $180.  I am not seeing the stand on the Gary's website yet-  https://www.prussiavalley.com/ but I am sure you could give Gary a call to discuss. It can be folded up nicely for transport. Let me know if you want some photos.

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
6 years ago
188 posts
How much do Gary’s stands cost?
Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
6 years ago
36 posts

I have one of Gary Sager's dulcimer stands. Beautiful oak and has multiple adjustments available to customize to your needs. 

Glenda  Hubbard
Glenda Hubbard
@glenda-hubbard
6 years ago
18 posts

I love my waiter's tray stand!  I like to stand and play and the tall one is a comfortable height for me. Like Ken said mine will hold two dulcimers which is nice when you like a couple tuned to different keys. Another reason is underneath makes a good place for your case or another instrument.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,123 posts

"Best" is what works for you.  There are a number of stands, as Dusty mentions.  I found a waiter's tray table works 'best' for me.  There are several height sizes available, you can usually find them locally at restaurant supply houses, and they don't have premium prices usually associated with niche goods.  

As far as securing the dulcimer, it will depend on the stand, how firmly it holds the instrument in place, and how 'active' you are while playing.  Some folks need a small bungee or strap or two; some just need a rubber pad.  I don't need anything to hold different dulcimers in place; in fact I often have two on the stand for a 'hot swap' of different tunings.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

Don, check out this video by @Christine-Shoemaker. She is using a stand by Gary Sager of Prussia Valley Dulcimers. It looks fully adjustable. Something like that would probably be the best option.

Other good options are keyboard stands or even an ironing board.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
6 years ago
188 posts

I would like to stand up more.  I’m not an exercise buff.

When you use a stand, how do you secure your dulcimer?

Is a waiters stand best?

Thank you.