Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,727 posts

I can't wait to see this dulcimer!  And if you need someone to test drive it for you I'd be glad to volunteer.winker

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
5 years ago
167 posts

I think using those pegs would be very nice looking.  I think they are a "pretty penny" though per each one.  maybe I'll switch to making only THREE STRINGS and then I can look at using those geared pegs.  beautiful dulcimer....I need to get to a specialty wood shop.  yep yep.  aloha, irene

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,083 posts

You will like those pegs. I've replaced the violin pegs on a couple of the first dulcimers I built with the geared pegs. They work really well and make tuning easier. The back looks really nice. I like using wood bindings.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Wmacky
Wmacky
@wmacky
5 years ago
18 posts

Ken, I sure will. Susie, it's being made by Richard Beard.  He offered a lot of custom options for much less than some of the other  larger companies.

Here's some of my choices:    All Santos rosewood, with tight grained spruce top, and ebony fret board. +1 and +6 frets. flamed maple edge binding, and ebony edge purfling on the top. Nitro lacquer polished finish. The tuners will look like ebony pegs, but are really planetary mechanical look alikes.

Here's the back board glued up with a maple center stripe.

100_5558.JPG
100_5558.JPG  •  375KB

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,123 posts

Over the years I've had several custom dulcimers built for me.  And build several other custom dulcimers for myself.  Either way a new made-for-you dulcimer is always fun to plan and anticipate, and finally learn to appreciate.  Enjoy!

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,083 posts

Looks like nice wood. I trust that when it is finished you will share that with us as well.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

That is beautiful! Two of my current dulcimers are custom.....one by Doug Berch (sassafras/walnut) and one by Folkcraft (butternut/walnut). The wait is agonizing, but well worth it! Looking forward to seeing yours completed. Who is building it?

updated by @susie: 04/29/19 09:19:04PM
Wmacky
Wmacky
@wmacky
5 years ago
18 posts

I have recently commissioned a custom dulcimer build. Has anyone else? I'm very excited. Here's the wood we have decided the back, sides, scroll head, finger board, and end block will be made from.

Santos Rosewood

100_5555(1).JPG
100_5555(1).JPG  •  305KB

updated by @wmacky: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM