Wooden Drums

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
234 posts

Looks good Kenh. I like the simple design.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,084 posts

That's a creative design Ken and should do the job you intend it to do. Nice construction. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Pondoro
Pondoro
@pondoro
3 years ago
34 posts

Ken that looks beautiful and also would not clash with an "Appalachian vibe" the way brightly painted or sit on cajons might.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,124 posts

I've been a table-thumper, thigh-slapper, doumbek player and Scottish Bass drummer.  But I was challenged by my friends of the local band Pine Island Sound to come up with something more suitable to play along with them.  So I created my first cajon from dulcimer and Anglo-Saxon lyre construction scrap.  I didn't want a "sit on" cajon, but something I could hold on my lap, or in my arms like an autoharp or a musical washboard.  I also didn't want a deep bass sound or high treble sound.    So here's what I came up with:

10" x 18" x 2-1/4".  Two tones from two different wood species and thicknesses on the two faces.  The one-piece side is a 3/16" slice of Oregon Myrtle leftover from a lyre project.  The divided side is 1/8" Sitka spruce salvaged from an acoustic piano soundboard by some guys I know who are doing that.  One of the pieces already had a hole in it.  As internal and external joint braces I added 1/8" x 2'' strips of Ash leftover from an archer's bow build I did a couple years back.  The sides are maple piano frame salvage.  

Cajon1.JPG
Cajon1.JPG  •  81KB

Cajon2.JPG
Cajon2.JPG  •  79KB

updated by @ken-hulme: 12/21/21 04:13:20PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,084 posts

Thanks for sharing your, and your brothers, work. I like the way you painted them.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Pondoro
Pondoro
@pondoro
5 years ago
34 posts

Steven - cajon means "box" so technically they are all cajons, but the three small horizontal ones are divided into two chambers and held between the legs or in the lap. So most people would call them bongos. The vertical ones are sat on while playing and would be what most people think of when they think "canon."  

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
5 years ago
143 posts

Nice work, Pondoro! Are these like cajons?

Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts
Very nice, you do great work!
Pondoro
Pondoro
@pondoro
5 years ago
34 posts

All of these except the top one on the pyramid were built by me. The one on top was built by my brother. The heads are three-layer birch ply, about 1/8" thick, maybe less. 

IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG  •  546KB

IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG  •  1.3MB

IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG  •  1.7MB

updated by @pondoro: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM