Hog-Eyed Man playing Green River

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
5 years ago
420 posts

Don's instruments also have the 1 1/2 & 8 1/2 frets.  He told me if he had it to do over again, he'd keep the 8 1/2 fret and not have the 1 1/2, for what that's worth.  He also said we need to retune to DAA for a lot of fiddle tunes.  Now on that, he's right.

John, I hope to catch up with you and get their cd's really soon!

Yes, thanks, Robin.  You came up with a winner there!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 years ago
400 posts

Don Pedi also has a large collection of historic instruments and gives great talks and allows "hands on" with the collection.  He brings his expertise, popular workshops  and great performances to the Homer Ledford Festival held every year on the first half of Labor Day Weekend in Winchester, KY (just east of Lexington).  It's a small festival and we always have a great time.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
Thank you!
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,124 posts

Don is the quintessential Fingerdancer.   Nearly always on the melody string, very smooth, fast and clean transitions between notes.  He also plays Noter & Drone style.  His instruments are invariably 3 stringed but not traditional -- they have the 6+ and 13+ frets and mechanical tuners.

Dan
Dan
@dan
5 years ago
185 posts

Don Grundy: Does Don Pedi basically play the melody string?

Yes.

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
5 years ago
188 posts
Does Don Pedi basically play the melody string?
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
5 years ago
400 posts

Just listening and not looking, it reminds me of Don Pedi and Bruce Greene, too, Robin!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
5 years ago
1,426 posts

So glad you are enjoying this video, friends! 

@John-Shaw I only have one of their cd's yet am sure the others are just as good.  It's funny you mention Bruce Greene because this duo reminds one, in ways, of Bruce Greene & Don Pedi's play together.   

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
5 years ago
60 posts

Thanks for posting this, Robin!  I've been a big fan of Hog-Eyed Man for 3 or 4 years, and all of their 4 CDs get my highest recommendation.  Jason Cade was a pupil from a very young age with the great Bruce Greene, and Rob McMaken is a subtle, beautiful dulcimer player.  

Gordon Hardy
Gordon Hardy
@gordon-hardy
5 years ago
28 posts

Thanks for this Robin!!

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
5 years ago
143 posts

Real nice! Thanks, Robin!