Dr. George Orthey, Mountain dulcimer and Autoharp maker

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

I haven't yet gotten my DPN but will be sure to pay special attention to your remembrance, @ken-longfield.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,083 posts

Thank you, Dusty. For any writer, it is helpful to have an excellent editor, which Ashley Ernst is. My thanks go to Ashley for her help and encouragement.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

I just want to bump this discussion and point everyone to @ken-longfield's excellent obituary of George Orthey in the current (Nov 2020) issue of Dulcimer Players News.  It is very well written and contains a lot of information about Orthey's life and the instruments he built. Well done, Ken!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 11/26/20 12:50:24AM
Bob
Bob
@bob
4 years ago
86 posts

He was quite a luthier among other things. I am sure he will be missed greatly, but his legacy live in in his creations.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,083 posts

And that's not all Leo, 200 hammered dulcimers, one guitar, and various other instruments.

Ken

Leo Kretzner
Leo Kretzner
@leo-kretzner
4 years ago
36 posts

1,500 dulcimers AND 1,500 autoharps?!? I only really knew of the former. Amazing productivity! 

Think of just how many strings that represents! 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,425 posts

@ken-longfield I offer my deepest sympathy, Ken.  I only know of Mr. Orthey by reputation.  Wishing for comfort for all who  mourn his death.  

John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
4 years ago
60 posts

I'm very sad to hear this news.  George Orthey was one of the great dulcimer makers.  I have 2 of his dulcimers, and my friend Geoff Black has more.  Orthey dulcimers are very light, small bodied and responsive, and incredibly loud (by dulcimer standards).  For the last few decades of his life he concentrated on his famous autoharps, but his dulcimers will always be treasured.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Sad news. Orthey was well respected luthier in both autoharp and dulcimer circles.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

Dr. Orthey sounds like a truly amazing man.  I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Ken.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
4 years ago
388 posts

This is sad news.  Dr. George Orthey was also a colonel in the US Army, and a veterinarian, too.  He lived quite a distinguished life.  The dulcimer world has lost another fine craftsman and enthusiast.  May God comfort George's family at this time of grief.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,083 posts

It is with great sadness that I share the news of the death of my friend, Dr. George Orthey. During his lifetime he built over 1,500 dulcimers and 1,500 autoharps. An article about George appeared in Dulcimer Players News, Vol. 13, No. 1, Winter, 1987.

Ken