Does anyone know what kind of pick this is?

Ilenef
Ilenef
@ilenef
4 years ago
4 posts

Thank you, Wally! At least I have learned what the shape is called: #355. It could have very well been a home made pick. Ilene

Ilenef
Ilenef
@ilenef
4 years ago
4 posts

Thank you, John and Susie! I am going to try the D'Andrea that Ken mentioned.  Not sure about thickness, though. Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated!

Wally Venable
Wally Venable
@wally-venable
4 years ago
59 posts

The shape looks like the large triangle pick sold by Fender and D'Andrea.

Pick Punch sells a make-your-own-picks punch in that #355 shape. It is very possible that you have a "home made" pick.

For the punch, see

https://www.pickpunch.com/355-large-triangle-pick-punch-quotdorito-chipq355.html

Pick Punch sells several other shapes. Locally we have a couple of #351 punches. They are good tools.

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Just a thought.....

My local music store is Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI (has been for 47 years). They are great to deal with. They have a huge selection of picks and their website is great for searching/filtering. You could look at their selection, then pick out (pun intended) a bunch of single picks and have them shipped to your home. Picks are usually quite inexpensive and Elderly's shipping rates are very reasonable. I bet for less than $10 (including shipping), you could get a nice selection and try the various shapes, sizes, thicknesses. It can really be enlightening and very helpful.

https://www.elderly.com/

updated by @susie: 09/14/20 07:00:19AM
John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
4 years ago
124 posts

I can't help with your particular pick, either. But for dulcimer I like big straight-edged triangle picks too. I've settled on thin or medium thickness celluloid picks and drill a hole in the center to help keep them from slithering around or flying out of my hand. Back when I was a wee lad you could find picks with flat pieces. of cork glued to them. "Real musicians" probably never used them, but there were enough beginners like myself to keep them on the market up into the 1970s.

Ilenef
Ilenef
@ilenef
4 years ago
4 posts

Thank you for replying, Ken.  A friend gave it to me...it was among several picks that were included with a used dulcimer.  I like it because it doesn't slip and is big enough to hold onto.

Ilene

updated by @ilenef: 09/13/20 06:58:09PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

I wish I could help you, but I can't. The shape is the Fender 355 shape which is also made by D'Andrea. I am not aware of anyone selling a white triangular pick which has red dots imbedded in it. I can't tell from the photo, but the picks looks to be a thick one. I have some white picks in that shape from Folkcraft when it was in Connecticut, but not with the red dots. I don't think those dots where there when the pick was manufactured.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ilenef
Ilenef
@ilenef
4 years ago
4 posts

I'm trying to find out what kind of pick this is because I want to buy some more (only have the 1).  It is 1.5 inches wide with braille-like specks. The specks are a gold color and are raised for traction.

.IMG_20200913_121927.jpg IMG_20200913_121915.jpg

updated by @ilenef: 09/13/20 06:55:30PM