I DO have a puncher....Mainly used for customers after they have made a purchase. It allows them to have a souvenir of their credit card......
But it does only allow up to about 1.75 mm material.
I DO have a puncher....Mainly used for customers after they have made a purchase. It allows them to have a souvenir of their credit card......
But it does only allow up to about 1.75 mm material.
It appears that punches for the Fender 355 shape are no longer readily available. The only things I see on eBay are for "normal" picks. I don't find them with a more general search either. There used to be a variety of shapes available.
I can't answer the question directly. I don't use soft picks and I prefer one about 2 inches long.
Looking at eBay, it seems that the readily available punches only allow stock up to about 1.5 mm thick.
It might be possible for an amateur machinist, or some luthiers, to modify this style of punch by inchreaing the thickness of the spacer to allow punching of thicker, soft, stock.
@wally-venable , that link does not work for me, even their main domain link. Out of business maybe?
However, pick punchers like that seem to be for sale in lots of places by just doing a search.
Sorry, John, I've never seen or heard of a pick like the one you described. I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
So a few months ago, whilst attending and vending at the Evart Michigan Dulcimer festival, a lady approached me asking about a pick style I'd never seen before.
Made of what I think was thick vinyl (perhaps 3mm?) Shaped like a "usual" pick, but VERY flexible. She said it filled the gap between "hard" picks and ones made of felt. She absolutely loved them. I think they may have had several tinted shades, but we're fairly if not totally see through.
Trouble was, she could not longer find them, or if so, they were only available in the UK, and the shipping costs were very high.
I THINK I have found a way for me to manufacture them here.
My questions are 1. Anybody else heard of such a pick? 2. Anybody willing to send me one ? 3. Lastly, does anyone know a lady searching for these picks....for the life of me, I can't find the contact information I had from the festival...
The shape looks like the large triangle pick sold by Fender and D'Andrea.
Pick Punch sells a make-your-own-picks punch in that #355 shape. It is very possible that you have a "home made" pick.
For the punch, see
[link removed, non-functional]
Pick Punch sells several other shapes. Locally we have a couple of #351 punches. They are good tools.
Just a thought.....
My local music store is Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI (has been for 47 years). They are great to deal with. They have a huge selection of picks and their website is great for searching/filtering. You could look at their selection, then pick out (pun intended) a bunch of single picks and have them shipped to your home. Picks are usually quite inexpensive and Elderly's shipping rates are very reasonable. I bet for less than $10 (including shipping), you could get a nice selection and try the various shapes, sizes, thicknesses. It can really be enlightening and very helpful.
I can't help with your particular pick, either. But for dulcimer I like big straight-edged triangle picks too. I've settled on thin or medium thickness celluloid picks and drill a hole in the center to help keep them from slithering around or flying out of my hand. Back when I was a wee lad you could find picks with flat pieces. of cork glued to them. "Real musicians" probably never used them, but there were enough beginners like myself to keep them on the market up into the 1970s.
I wish I could help you, but I can't. The shape is the Fender 355 shape which is also made by D'Andrea. I am not aware of anyone selling a white triangular pick which has red dots imbedded in it. I can't tell from the photo, but the picks looks to be a thick one. I have some white picks in that shape from Folkcraft when it was in Connecticut, but not with the red dots. I don't think those dots where there when the pick was manufactured.
Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."