GigBook & a pedal

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

@marg, you can organize your tab in folders if you wish. You don't need special software for that.  You could create one big folder that has everything and then sub-folders on holiday tunes, or celtic tunes or however you want to organize them. But you can also just use the search function, so if someone calls out "Grasshopper Sitting on a Sweet Potato Vine" you just search for "grassh" and click on that song and you don't have to remember what folder it's in.

Neither of the two people in my dulcimer group who have all their tablature on their tablets and use foot pedals organize their tab in subfolders.  They just have one big folder and either scroll alphabetically or use the search function to find tab for any given song.  And they are always much faster than the folks with their binders of papers.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

Dusty,

Thanks for checking. The thing about a music software is you can put your music into folders so you don't need to go through thousands to find the ones you want. But that is something to consider, I dropbox the tabs to my table anyway - I'll see if I can find another way to open them.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

I just checked with the member of my dulcimer group who uses one of those pedals.  He does not use special music software at all, just a generic pdf reader.  The foot pedal is called a PageFlip Firefly and connects via bluetooth to his tablet.  No special software is needed for the foot pedal.

I would check if your foot pedal will work with Acrobat Reader or even just a generic version.  Then you can just keep all your files in a big folder and don't need GigBook at all.

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 11/04/20 11:24:44PM
marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

files are in PDF

Skip
Skip
@skip
4 years ago
359 posts

Their site implies the files are pdf's. You may find them using a file management program [in the apps data folder maybe].  If so, you should be able to copy/move them to a new folder. You may be able to email them to yourself, they will probably be attachments.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,729 posts

Marg, I am pretty sure a couple of people in my dulcimer group don't use any app at all but just keep pdf files of all their tab and use a pedal to turn the pages.  I'll check with them and get back to you.

What format are the files in GigBook?

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie
marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

Help:

It seems GigBook has not updated or managed their site in some time. I have a page turn pedal - AirTurn which will not work now with GigBook. I checked & the pedal seems good, I tried another pedal and it also will not turn any music pages in GigBook but will will scroll other programs. 

Yikes - now what do I need to transfer all my music files to another app & if so which ones do you fine work well?  How hard is it to transfer all the files?

thanks

marg