Where do I add the Strap Buttons on a OLD McSpadden.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,084 posts

That's great. Have fun playing.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,426 posts

Cool.  Happy strumming!

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Strap came today. Did it right. The strap fits, no problem.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I did it. Drum roll please. Worked exactly as planned. Added rubber washers to distribute the torque.

IMG_2636.JPG
IMG_2636.JPG  •  284KB

IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG  •  363KB

updated by @nathina: 11/08/20 09:13:02PM
Skip
Skip
@skip
4 years ago
359 posts

I've never seen one of the old ones. A call to Jim Woods at McSpadden may be helpful. 

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Tic Toc, Ahaa, Have to do it. Plans drawn, applied, drill set identified. Fate favors the fearless. Be Back in 15 minutes, either happy or ....... Although I am not bad at this.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I have studied the contruction of the McSpadden and hopefully the construction blocks remained the same from the 70's to now. Sounding on the toe indicates a possible space however so I will drill a micro hole into that tomorrow. The neck is solid but I think I might use a slip strap on that if it will feed under the strings. The Scroll head has some spacing differences from the new scrolls. Will check further tomorrow and still may drill it. Have measured, sounded, scoped there is a full block on both ends. Drawing up diagrams now for placement. It is going to be within millimeters, to miss a "stay" or something more solid in the neck, and not overshoot the block on the base, while still accessing the hitch pins. And I am using oval buttons. Now if I only had an xray.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Do you know if the toe block is solid down to the back board? I have enough space to place an oval button there if I drill a micro exploratory hole.

Skip
Skip
@skip
4 years ago
359 posts

I installed one on a similar instrument. The one on the scroll was on the bottom of the scroll with the screw pointed more or less towards the nut. The bottom edge of the button was just above the scroll/bottom corner. There are 2 options for the rear one, on the side of the tailblock facing the listener, the other option is more difficult, re-position or share the anchors, and place the button between the anchors.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

In this older one the hitch pins are near the the bottom, and the this one has a scroll head with the scroll going into the instrument. No block

IMG_2632.JPG
IMG_2632.JPG  •  175KB

IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG  •  1.9MB

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,124 posts

Usually under the flathead near the bottom and the same low-location on the tail block.

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

While the Rod Gibson is done. Added strap buttons quickly. I haven't decided wither to go horizontal or vertical with the button on the neck. Still have no where to drill on the old McSpadden?

IMG_2634.JPG
IMG_2634.JPG  •  178KB

IMG_2635.JPG
IMG_2635.JPG  •  253KB

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I am going to add the strap buttons today. No problem on the Gibson, lots of standard space. But the McSpadden, has no room on the pin block and virtually no room on the neck. Where should I install them on the McSpadden?

IMG_2632.JPG
IMG_2632.JPG  •  175KB

IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG  •  247KB

updated by @nathina: 11/08/20 06:33:31PM