What do you think of this one? 5 str Dulcimer with wooden tuning pegs

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,415 posts

Jim Good used to set up at the Vandalia Gathering on the grounds of the capitol building in WV.  He built some really pretty instruments though I have never seen one of his early ones-- this one is lovely! 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Looks beautiful!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Ken Longfield:

It looks very good Nathina. It is pretty much what a new Jim Good dulcimer looked like on his sale table. For some reason I'm under the impression that Jim sold his workshop and inventory a while back, but I'm not certain about this. I remember when Jim started using walnut shells in his sound holes. Jim's wife is Brenda, but I don't know if she ever painted on any of their dulcimers. Post fire of 83 when he went to walnuts for sound holes.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

I was informed by a friend that knows him and Brenda. Her maiden name was cooper, and she occasionally enhanced specially made dulcimers, for who I don't know. His new ones post 83 look like he was making an extension of the fret or soundboard that looked like a violin chin rest apparently. Quite attractive. Since this is an "enhanced" dulcimer, I was hoping to find out more on its history. He hid his name well inside. Used an endoscope to find it. 

updated by @nathina: 12/24/20 07:47:53PM
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,073 posts

It looks very good Nathina. It is pretty much what a new Jim Good dulcimer looked like on his sale table. For some reason I'm under the impression that Jim sold his workshop and inventory a while back, but I'm not certain about this. I remember when Jim started using walnut shells in his sound holes. Jim's wife is Brenda, but I don't know if she ever painted on any of their dulcimers.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Ken Hulme:

Someone did a nice job.  Are the top & back veneer?   Beautiful painting, but not nearly enough sound hole area.  Commercial violin pegs, but not everyone wants to take the time to carve their own (I don't!).  Maker's label?  

Way up there, Jim Good 1980 so a pre 1983. Jim I understand is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's. Top and back and sides are solids. Brenda Cooper did the enhancements. Not sure if that is his wife or not? Hand signed. Used a shaker peg for hitch pin instead of standard dowel peg. As you say the job is very nice, was able to restore it back to new condition without too much altering. Interesting string setup, so it was tuned from Bass to Melody DGADD but too much pull on the strings so retuned to CGGCC and it took it fine.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Someone did a nice job.  Are the top & back veneer?   Beautiful painting, but not nearly enough sound hole area.  Commercial violin pegs, but not everyone wants to take the time to carve their own (I don't!).  Maker's label?  

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I am trying to get more information on this dulcimer. Sounds great, finished restoring it last night, couldn't sleep. 

DSC00641.JPG
DSC00641.JPG  •  116KB

DSC00642.JPG
DSC00642.JPG  •  114KB

DSC00643.JPG
DSC00643.JPG  •  95KB

DSC00644.JPG
DSC00644.JPG  •  64KB

updated by @nathina: 12/24/20 03:44:58PM