My mom’s teardrop dulcimer

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
231 posts

That is a beautiful dulcimer. Best of luck finding out more about it.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

Ah, now we can see!  Thanks Lisa.  Nice workmanship on this elliptical.  John's right, not a Tignor, but perhaps "in that vein".  Multi-piece tuning head similar to the ones I make, and it does look like Oak.  Tuniing pegs appear to imitate commercial violin/viola pegs.  No idea who/what HRC designates; most builders sign their whole name.  Is there other writing in the other sound holes?

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
385 posts

I have not seen such a dulcimer before.  It looks homemade, maybe of oak.  I'm not familiar with the "HRC" designation.  It's not TOO old, because the frets are made of guitar fretwire.  The late John Tignor used the trefoil hole pattern, but I'm sure it's not one of his.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

I reduced the size of all the photos to a width of about 500 px.

Beautiful dulcimer!  I would call its shape elliptical rather than teardrop. Is it made of oak, perhaps? 
I cannot venture who the HRC may be...anyone? I would think that without a known maker and with no cracks or other problems, it might sell somewhere between $250-$500. Sorry that's a wide price range, but you never know who might want to buy it and what their idea of 'too much' is these days. If you decide to try to sell it here on FOTMD, you'd have to create a new thread in our For Sale forum and follow the posting rules there.
Do you have no interest in learning to play?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,111 posts

Sorry -- your images are so large they are more or less not usable.   Probably best to Attach the files than embed them in the text message.

reasprin
@reasprin
3 years ago
1 posts

Just wondering if anyone has ideas on the age, where it may have originated, and it’s worth. I found this at my mom’s house and have no idea how long she had it or where she bought it. It has HRC inside the left spade/clover. original original original original