2 years ago
5 posts

Picture! Picture! Picture!

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 years ago
36 posts

Thanks to all who responded. I finally got things right. I was missing the .15" allowance for compensation. When I

took that into consideration and ran it on a fret calculator, I ended up with a 25.5" VSL, so from  the nut to octave is 12.75" but octave to bridge is + or - 12.9"

Bill R

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,123 posts

The width of nuts/bridges, and the depth of the notches aren't terribly important.  The distance between the inside edges is.  the VSL.  If the nut & bridge are that bad, it would probably behoove you to make new ones.

Still would like to see pictures -- overall plus closeups of the places where the nut/bridge ought to be.

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

Sorry, I forgot to say to set the bridge to the same measurement as fret 1 to fret 8.

Skip
Skip
@skip
2 years ago
359 posts

You could try tuning the bass string to C on the 7th fret, position a nut, then tune the melody open to the bass 7th. 

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 years ago
36 posts

There are 18 Dulcimer frets, no real marks showing the locations. I sketched it out in CAD and it appears to be 25 3/8 " VSL . When set up I tuned it to C, checked at first Octave, OK   Checked second Octave ,Very close but when I  note it at the first fret, it is Sharp. The original bridge and nuts were included, they were 1/4 to 3/8 wide and deeply notched, looks like they were an after an alteration

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,123 posts

Yep -- what Ken said -- photos of where the nuts/bridges "should" be would be a big help.  There should be wear marks, if nothing, else to show where the errant nuts and bridges were originally placed.  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,083 posts

Bill, can you provide a photo of the dulcimer? The most important thing is to determine where the the nuts were located. Once that is determined, you can measure from the fret board side of the nut to the middle of the seventh fret. Double that measurement and that should be where the strings contact the bridge. A little fine adjustment may be necessary for better intonation.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
@curtis-carlisle-bouterse
2 years ago
15 posts

How many, what frets does it have?

Bill Robison
Bill Robison
@bill-robison
2 years ago
36 posts

Situation, old hand made courting dulcimer with no bridge, bridge reference or nuts.  What is the most accurate way to determine  VSL? 

Thanks, Bill R