Dulcimer on Spanish TV!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,255 posts

Thanks for the great photo!
The headstock, with its 6 strings and sturdy long shape, reminds me of a large version of French epinettes. This fellow is obviously interested in early instruments and their history. I see another headstock in the making on the table- perhaps for a 4 string dulcimer. How sweet those tiny heart sound holes are!
Is that a vielle on the table in the photo? Lovely! I love the very old sounds such instruments produce.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

I'm glad that you found and shared that photo. Like Dusty I would enjoy hearing him play that instrument.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,729 posts

I would love to hear him play that instrument, which has partial frets such that the middle strings are chromatic but the bass and melody strings are diatonic.

Thanks for sharing.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
AndiBear
AndiBear
@andibear
2 years ago
8 posts

Found! It has been so easy that the criminologist in me (I work in that sector) feels disappointed ;)

The luthier is Alfonso GarcĂ­a Oliva, from Navajeda, Cantabria, although in his web he has no information about dulcimer, I hope he will correct it soon (I intend to answer him to check prices, although it is true that for the moment I can't afford a new dulcimer, but it's good to have an idea).

He showed first a rebec (not a medieval fiddle) before the dulcimer, and then to the surprise of the presenter and the audience, a nice 6-string dulcimer and strummed a few chords.

I'll see if I'm able to upload a screenshot of the dulcimer.

And hopefully it will get people's curiosity piqued!

original

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,090 posts

It's good to know the folks in Spain had a brief exposure to the Appalachian dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

AndiBear
AndiBear
@andibear
2 years ago
8 posts

Good night!

First of all, I would like to explain that in the public TV in Spain there is a channel, La 2, that although it doesn't have a large audience, it has interesting contents, and a travel program that many people watch (one of the presenters goes with an adorable dog).

Well, I was watching this program and one of the presenters was in Cantabria (in the north) and went to visit a luthier (I didn't catch his name but I promise I will find out sooner or later).

They presented, I think, a medieval violin, and talk a few about it, and immediately the luthier brings out a beautiful dulcimer, and briefly explains that it comes from the Appalachians but its origin is European, you hear some sweet and beautiful strumming.... And immediately they change the scene and it does not appear again.

But for a few seconds we could see a dulcimer on TV in Spain, in a relatively successful program!

I hope that those few seconds will make him known, and I promise to find out the name of the luthier.

The program was broadcasted yesterday (I saw a replay), in their networks they have not mentioned neither the dulcimer nor the luthier (neither the program itself nor the viewers) but I hope it has touched people's hearts. Mine for sure, I jumped off the couch so much that even my dog was surprised!