Bill Taylor, McSpadden dulcimer values?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,720 posts

Janis, there are a few variables to think about. One is the wood.  Is there anything special about it?  Anything figured or curly or spalted is probably worth a bit more.  Is there an internal pickup?  That's probably worth $75 or $100 alone.  Is a case included?  Both dulcimer bags and cases have gone up in price a lot recently, and even a used hardshell case is probably worth $100.

I have to admit that I have a Bill Taylor dulcimer and I've considered selling it a few times. I even posted an ad here for it, but I have always changed my mind, thinking the dulcimer is worth more to me than the price I would get.  On the other hand, if you're interested in a 12-string guitar, I might have something for you . . . grin

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 07/21/22 11:06:33PM
Janis Lewman
Janis Lewman
@janis-lewman
2 years ago
11 posts

Thanks Strumelia.  I wasn't thinking seriously of selling but was asked "if I did" what would I ask.  At that point, I realized I had no idea what the instrument would go for.  Obviously not a "Strad".  So sounds like best option is to start with what I paid.  Thanks for the insight.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,246 posts

It's easy to see lots of McSpaddens on ebay and you'll get a quick idea as to what they are currently selling for.

The Bill Taylor I imagine is a nice playable dulcimer, but it's not that old or a big collectable yet, so you might try asking what you paid for it. If nobody bites then lower the price by 20% and that stimulate a sale.

Are you working with someone to sell it in person, i.e. to another dulcimer player in your area, without shipping involved?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Janis Lewman
Janis Lewman
@janis-lewman
2 years ago
11 posts

I hope this is the right place to ask this question - was not intuitive - my apologies for asking in the wrong area earlier.     I have a late 1990's Bill Taylor dulcimer and have been asked to price it.  I know what I paid for it and the case when new but no idea how to price such an item.  I also have an all walnut McSpadden about 2-3 years old.  Not sure I want to part with either - they have very sweet tones - but promised to look into it.  Both are fine, the only downside on the Taylor is it being a bear to chase strings due to slim spacing on scroll head but then I've not needed to change strings that often.