Dulcimer playing stand

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

My dulcimer playing stand arrived today from Rae Lynn Woods. I really like it and it folds up nicely for storage. I am rather short and sometimes have trouble getting the dulcimer stable across my legs. It isn't a problem at all with it on the stand! Although I got this to use during upcoming knee replacement surgery, I'll probably use it all the time. Thanks to all of you for your various recommendations.

Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
11 years ago
51 posts

Thanks for the advice Matt, but alas, I have already bought and cut the 3/4 pipe and in process of putting the pipe together. Will let you know how it works out. I already have a sturdy wooden dulcimer playing stand which I leave set up in my studio and I was just building this one for use at gigs. I made several dulcimer stands out of 1/2" tubing and they work great for propping up your dulcimers. Take care and thanks again for your help.

Matt Berg said:

I do not think 3/4 pvc is a good idea. The biggest problem with pvc is that it bends, thicker pipe less, thinner pipe more. If you want to stay with 3/4, I strongly suggest building a "walker" type stand. The type I built relies on a single upright which would be wobbly if 3/4".

I leave an instrument on my stand as the stand is very steady. Besides, neither of my cats is big enough to knock it over.

Joseph Besse said:

Thanks for the PDF list Matt. I decided to use all 3/4" tubing and stick to a sit-down stand. Hope this works OK. BTW, I assume you do not leave the stand un-attended for fear of someone knocking it down when not playing.

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

I got my walker out and even with it adjusted all the way down it is too high for playing while sitting. I have ordered one of the wooden Rae Lyn stands. I'll let you know how I like it once it gets here.

Matt Berg
Matt Berg
@matt-berg
11 years ago
93 posts

I do not think 3/4 pvc is a good idea. The biggest problem with pvc is that it bends, thicker pipe less, thinner pipe more. If you want to stay with 3/4, I strongly suggest building a "walker" type stand. The type I built relies on a single upright which would be wobbly if 3/4".

I leave an instrument on my stand as the stand is very steady. Besides, neither of my cats is big enough to knock it over.

Joseph Besse said:

Thanks for the PDF list Matt. I decided to use all 3/4" tubing and stick to a sit-down stand. Hope this works OK. BTW, I assume you do not leave the stand un-attended for fear of someone knocking it down when not playing.

Jim Damico
Jim Damico
@jim-bagsh
11 years ago
6 posts

Members of FOTMD are such a creative bunch. I wouldn't have thought of the walker idea. :)

And for the sitting position, the adjustable feet can be removed and that might just be low enough to use playing when sitting.

Another idea would be a TV tray. If you could find a wooden one, you could even cut the legs down a bit so it is a perfect height.

Good luck with therapy too.

Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
11 years ago
51 posts

Matt Berg
Matt Berg
@matt-berg
11 years ago
93 posts

Joseph,

1" PVC tubing fits snugly inside 1 1/4" tubing. I used those sizes. My parts list is attached. s you can see, I started with a slightly taller stand, but needed to cut it down just a bit.

Good Luck,

Matt

PS. I haven't unloaded a pdf to this site yet. If it doesn't display properly, I will upload a jpg.

Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
11 years ago
51 posts

Now I see how you did it. I think I will make one just to use while sitting only. Can you tell me what size PVC you used? Looks like 3/4" for bottom part and maybe some dimensions. Thanks a lot for your help on this project. That stand is a neat one and I am sure there will start to be many around at local jams.

Matt Berg
Matt Berg
@matt-berg
11 years ago
93 posts

Joseph,

I used a pipe clamp. First I used a band saw to cut four slits down the pipe from one end. This gives just enough room that the pipe clamp can tightened and hold up the top. I was concerned that the band saw would not cut wide enough slits, but it worked just fine.

Don't really like that I need to use a screwdriver to tighten the clamps. If I do this again I will replace the screws with a thumb screws or something similar.

Matt

Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
11 years ago
51 posts

Hi Matt, wondering how you got the legs to extend with the clamps. I replied to you in the For Sale section also.39.gif

Matt Berg said:

Gail,

I was laid up this summer with a very broken ankle and spent most of my time in a wheelchair. I just posted in the for sale forum the stand that came out of that situation. It works very well while sitting and reasonably well while standing (though you might not use that for a little bit.) I have attached a picture.

If you know someone reasonably handy, they could probably make you one based on my pictures. If you want to purchase mine, great! Please, measure the width of the wheelchair or other chair you will use. This stand accommodates up to 27 1/2 inches. If you will need something wider, let me know and I will make a new one.

If someone chooses to make one for you and that person has questions, feel free to have the contact me.

Matt Berg

Joseph Besse
Joseph Besse
@joseph-besse
11 years ago
51 posts

If a walker does not work for you try fashioning one from PVC pipe. Smile.gif

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

Matt, thanks for the information on your stand. I think I am going to order one of the Rae Lyn stands. I have limited storage space and it looks like it folds up easily and doesn't require much space.

Matt Berg
Matt Berg
@matt-berg
11 years ago
93 posts

Gail,

I was laid up this summer with a very broken ankle and spent most of my time in a wheelchair. I just posted in the for sale forum the stand that came out of that situation. It works very well while sitting and reasonably well while standing (though you might not use that for a little bit.) I have attached a picture.

If you know someone reasonably handy, they could probably make you one based on my pictures. If you want to purchase mine, great! Please, measure the width of the wheelchair or other chair you will use. This stand accommodates up to 27 1/2 inches. If you will need something wider, let me know and I will make a new one.

If someone chooses to make one for you and that person has questions, feel free to have the contact me.

Matt Berg

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

My wife and I purchased a personal table from Staples for her to put her flutes on. I was thinking it might do well for my mountain dulcimer as well.

http://www.staples.com/Sudden-Solutions-30-inch-Personal-Folding-Table/product_777587

But the idea of the keyboard stand might be a little lighter and more portable.

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

Thanks for all of the ideas. I think I can make one of these work for me. I'm going to try to talk my teacher into loaning me his for a month or two, but I doubt that's going to happen!

Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
11 years ago
242 posts

You can use a keyboard stand. I use a single frame X stand. There are double frame models for heavy keyboards, but no mountain dulcimer would be near the weight of a large keyboard. Mine was on sale at Sam Ash Music for $9.95 several years ago. This is what they look like http://www.sweetwater.com/c508--Keyboard_Stands?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=keyboards&utm_term=keyboard_stand

It can be raised for standing players, or lowered for sitting players. Good luck with your knee replacement, I am investigating it myself.

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
11 years ago
31 posts

Gail, no, the Rae Lynn stand isn't adjustable and that's probably my only beef with it. A few years ago my wife insisted on "gussying up" my office/music room. She wanted a "dressier" pair of chairs and I ended up with a couple oversized and overstuffed parson's chairs with the seat about 17-1/2 inches off the floor. This stand works well for me at that sitting height, but I've also used it with regular kitchen/dining type chairs and it was comfortable. I've often though that I'd just trim a bit off the legs if I found a chair that I wanted to use exclusively for playing my dulcimer.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
11 years ago
2,126 posts

Those walkers are height adjustable so you can use them sitting or standing. The ones I've seen, the player uses something like a rubber band or bungee to hold the dulcimer in place "just because". Bubble gum and string might also work.26.gif There are all sorts of solutions if you put your mind to it.

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

Barbara, thanks for offering to cheer me on. I had my right knee replaced back in 2008 and it has done great (although the recuperation and therapywas no fun). I just got surgery scheduled today for December 2nd to do my left one - it was down to bone on bone on the x-ray today. If I need encouragement during this one, I may call on you!

Barbara Gill said:

Gail, I don't have much to say about the stand but I can cheer you on about the knee replacement. I had my right one done last December and the left in March. I love my new knees and being able to walk without pain again! If you have any questions I can answer, feel free to contact me.
Barbara
Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

Mark, the walker is an interesting idea and I already have one from my other knee replacement a few years ago. I want to play in a sitting position - could you do that with the walker? Also, what holds it in place?

Mark Richardson said:

My partner is 2 weeks into her New Hip... she uses a walker, but I've been using one for years... $5.00 at Goodwill

I use a 'walker', in a different discussion, we talk about stands. The walker does dual purpose...you can use it with your new knee in the healing process, and it holds your dulcimer just fine. I've decorated one and use it on stage...I DON"T have to strap it down, and I can play pretty fierceGrin.gif sometimes.. 467_forums.jpg?width=721

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

Ivan,

I looked at the ones on Rae Lynn Woods site and like those. Can you use them sitting and are they adjustable? If you don't know, I can contact them and ask. Thanks for the info.

Ivan Bradley said:

Then, if you want to go fancy, there's this one: Rae Lynn Woods

I have one of these and like it pretty well. I added more felt than what they included, but it might just be over-cautiousness on my part.

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
11 years ago
31 posts

Then, if you want to go fancy, there's this one: Rae Lynn Woods

I have one of these and like it pretty well. I added more felt than what they included, but it might just be over-cautiousness on my part.

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
11 years ago
70 posts

It looks like I am heading to a knee replacement soon - going to see my orthopaedic surgeon this afternoon. I think I would like to be able to play dulcimer during recovery once I am up to it. I would like a stand to place the dulcimer on (rather than my healing left knee)! Folkroots made a really nice one (my teacher has one) but it's no longer available. Does anyone know of a good dulcimer playing stand? I have seen one on line that is wood and cloth with a place to put your music, but didn't really like the looks of that one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

updated by @gail-webber: 02/17/19 08:58:03PM