9 years ago
252 posts

One of the best folk songs of the sixties... Robert

Ken Backer
Ken Backer
@ken-backer
9 years ago
31 posts

Hi Rob, I have been doing this song since the 60's, and now do it on the dulcimer.  Had their original LP but don't know what happened to it.  For those of you who may not know,  Richard died in a motorcycle accident just after his book came out.  Mimi (Joan Baez's younger sister) died of cancer around 2003.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

Here's a link to a video you may know about already; I reckon it's  the only one of Richard and Mimi playing it.  The video and the sound aren't in synch, but you can get the idea from it.  I think he's playing in DAd based on his tuning at the beginning and the position of the chopstick he's using as a noter.  That being said, I think it sounds good in DAA and John P's notes should be able to get you started.

Neal Hellman's made his "Richard Farina Dulcimer Book" available as a free pdf, but that song's not in it, perhaps because Mimi and Joan's sister Pauline is credited with authorship.  Some say she just gave him the title, but he wanted her to have something material from the idea.

http://gourdmusic.blogspot.com/2010/05/liberating-richard.html

updated by @rob-n-lackey: 09/23/15 04:19:26PM
john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

Hi joos.

This Richard Farina recording on youtube is done in noter/drone style, and it's not too difficult to pick out the notes by ear.

Pack Up Your Sorrows

What's a bit more difficult is that the tune has a slightly broken strum that may take a bit more work.

If you would like to try picking it out by ear - here's a nudge to get you started.

5 7 5 4 3 8 8 8 10 8 7 6 / 5 5 5 7 7 5 4 ...

Tuning is Ionian DAA (or equiv).

If you would like to use DAd then subtract 3 from the fret order

Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
9 years ago
155 posts

I'm sure that this tune is under copyright.  I have never seen any tab or tuning for it;