Dulcimers and their sound - makers

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Have you seen some of Christine Shoemaker's videos, she has a dulciborn but just got a Gold Tone custom chromatic 5-string bartione dulciborn  

She is a member so you could search for her on FOTMD    

Frank Ledgerwood was a member but I do not see him now, can still see some of his videos on youtube, with these I just fell in love with the sound f the dulcimer

and    

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

Marg,  I do have a dulciborn now , a gold tone and I do like it...  The action is pretty good on it...  I know others have had theirs adjusted too...

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

marg:

Sorry this is an older post but i am just now reading it, I have a dulciborn and once I lowered the action it wasn't hard to fret and yes the sound is incredible. 

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Sorry this is an older post but i am just now reading it, I have a dulciborn and once I lowered the action it wasn't hard to fret and yes the sound is incredible. 

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
10 years ago
53 posts

I tried one out... Very tight strings and takes a lot of hand power .... For a man it would be great! they do sound good!

Steven Berger said:

Paula, check out the Gold Tone Dulciborn...I don't have one, but the samples on YouTube are worth watching...it's a dulcimer disguised as a Weissenborn guitar...and it sounds incredible.

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
10 years ago
53 posts

Great!!! love to try it!

Ivan Bradley said:

Hi, Paula, you might consider the Blue Lion Acoustic Jam model as well. I'll bring mine to TVDS this Saturday so you can try it out. It's not for sale, but it could give you another idea in your search. Blue Lion usually makes a few of them in each production run, so, if they haven't been ordered one might be available there soon. I'll bring my Ron Gibson baritone as well. With its deep body and boat shape it projects pretty well and could be another consideration with a regular set of strings.

See you Saturday.

Ivan

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
10 years ago
143 posts

Paula, check out the Gold Tone Dulciborn...I don't have one, but the samples on YouTube are worth watching...it's a dulcimer disguised as a Weissenborn guitar...and it sounds incredible.

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
10 years ago
31 posts

Hi, Paula, you might consider the Blue Lion Acoustic Jam model as well. I'll bring mine to TVDS this Saturday so you can try it out. It's not for sale, but it could give you another idea in your search. Blue Lion usually makes a few of them in each production run, so, if they haven't been ordered one might be available there soon. I'll bring my Ron Gibson baritone as well. With its deep body and boat shape it projects pretty well and could be another consideration with a regular set of strings.

See you Saturday.

Ivan

phil
@phil
10 years ago
129 posts

Hi Bill could you also send me that same information.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
10 years ago
1,426 posts
Have you ever heard a Probst?
Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
10 years ago
84 posts

Go to gatherings and festivals and listen to others play. Then ask about the instruments which please your ear.

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
10 years ago
53 posts

There are so many makers out there.

I am looking specifically for a sweet sound, some projection, and not twangy...!! more guitar sounding but enough volume so you can hear yourself in a jam.

I like Gallers for that reason but he does not seem to be making them, and I cannot find a used one.

any other suggestions for the description a above?

updated by @paula-brawdy: 08/02/23 12:41:15AM