shallow legged capo

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

Robin, I doubt you will find a capo with shorter legs than a standard Ron Ewing. That is more or less the model these days.

And even though I was the one who proposed the hacksaw idea, I think Skip's suggestion is the less violent option. If you put a piece of hard rubber or soft wood or something, roughly the width of the fretboard, underneath the capo, you can get the same result without destroying the capo.  I would try that.  Some experimentation should reveal very quickly whether the legs of the capo will still have enough force to hold it down.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
8 years ago
239 posts

I'm surprised we've not had: Water the fretboard and rub in some compost to see if it will grow a little blinders

I was actually asked the question by a player who has a Sobel dulcimer - and, although the hacksaw idea had already come to mind I did wonder if one the current commercial ones may fit?

Skip
Skip
@skip
8 years ago
359 posts

Cut a dowel or wood pencil just short of the fretboard width and tape it between the legs of a standard capo. Run the tape parallel and between the strings.

hugssandi
@hugssandi
8 years ago
244 posts

LOL~y'all are awesome!  We have a plenty of builders though...  Maybe it's a request someone could fill?

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
8 years ago
1,727 posts

1 regular capo + 1 hacksaw = 1 shallow legged capo

That's all I got.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
John Shaw
John Shaw
@john-shaw
8 years ago
60 posts

No, I don't know of any - but the old 'chopstick and strong rubber band' technique should work!

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
8 years ago
239 posts

Does anyone know of a capo that would fit a low fretboard: Height 10mm, width 32mm

Thanks,

Robin