What's your Favorite Finger Board length?

Bob
Bob
@bob
7 years ago
86 posts

hugssandi:

I'm not sure if this is but so helpful, because this is vastly smaller in size than what you're asking, but I have fallen in love with my 17" Feather Dulcimer.  I loved playing my Walnut Creek, too, but there were songs I never could get that I seem to just play out of the blue now.  That makes me think a 26.5" (and I see you added 25") might be beneficial to some.

Thanks hugssandi and others- your comments are indeed helpful. I decided to use a 25" fret board pattern for my April dulcimer happys

updated by @bob: 04/12/17 12:19:40PM
hugssandi
@hugssandi
7 years ago
244 posts

I'm not sure if this is but so helpful, because this is vastly smaller in size than what you're asking, but I have fallen in love with my 17" Feather Dulcimer.  I loved playing my Walnut Creek, too, but there were songs I never could get that I seem to just play out of the blue now.  That makes me think a 26.5" (and I see you added 25") might be beneficial to some.

updated by @hugssandi: 04/10/17 02:23:41AM
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
7 years ago
143 posts

I like a 27" vsl the best. 28 1/2" is also good. I play noter/drone and I find these to be the most comfortable for the way I play.

Steven

Bob
Bob
@bob
7 years ago
86 posts

Thanks friends- I am tossed up between a 26.5 and a 25". Thanks for sharing your choices and why.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,124 posts

I really don't think you'll notice any difference between 27 and 26.5 -- look at the spacing tables, the differences are pretty tiny.  I prefer longer scales --27-28"; I've played a 32" and it was HUGE!  I've played a 20" and it was too cramped.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
7 years ago
252 posts
I use 26" on my dedicated DAdd models. I think this is the most versatile scale for chord players. I have a few 25.5 which are my second favorite. For noter drone I use longer scales with 27" being my favorite. My just intonation models are 27". My baritone models are 30".
Since so many folks play in D tuning the shorter scale means less string breaking. Try tuning a 30" to D4 and you'll see what I mean... Robert.
Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
7 years ago
155 posts

I have small hands for a man plus a deformed pinky on my fretting hand (left) and prefer 26.5 or less.

Skip
Skip
@skip
7 years ago
359 posts

I usually use 26.5. I have a 22 1/4 that I play most of the time lately.

Bob
Bob
@bob
7 years ago
86 posts

Just wondering, with all of the various sizes an styles of dulcimers out there, what is your favorite VSL / Finger Board length between bridge and nut?

I have been making 27 inchers and think I might try a 26.5 inch one on my new dulcimer (less finger stretching...)