Yay, Gail Webber!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
400 posts

You'll probably find that how much you like camping increases with the increase in the amount of "comfort" camping stuff you take.  A tent you can stand up in was a good start.  Next, you might want to think about a cot with a great pad or air mattress on it.  Oh--and pitch that tent near a great restaurant!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
7 years ago
70 posts

Thank you so much everyone, and especially to Jan.  I was very surprised to find out I had won - wasn't even expecting to place in the top 5!  It was a nice weekend - even trying out camping again for the first time since I was around 14 years old.

Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
7 years ago
143 posts

That's  great, Gail! Congratulations!

Steven

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,253 posts

My congratulations to Gail too- what a huge honor to win that!  clapper

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
7 years ago
259 posts

Way to go Gail! Congrats party

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
7 years ago
420 posts

Yes, congratulations Gail.  That's just wonderful.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
400 posts

Gail's rendition on dulcimer of "Wayfaring Stranger" at the Fiddlers' Convention in Mount Airy, NC, last weekend netted her First Place over a field of former winners (including National Dulcimer Champions!).  I wasn't able to attend, but she gave me a preview Thursday evening and it sounded like a winner to me!  Gail and I became friends after she joined FOTMD about 4 years ago and have been fortunate to meet up and share our love of dulcimers many times.  I just spent a week in NC near her home in Greensboro and was able to jam with her, Karen Smith-Gratto, and Callie Cashwell.  In a couple weeks Callie and Karen will be coming to Kentucky to share lodgings at a bed and breakfast with me at Kentucky Music Week!  I just love how FOTMD enlarges our world and helps us make new dulcimer friends from all over!  And it's even better when we get to meet up in real life!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,727 posts

Way to go, Gail!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
7 years ago
1,426 posts

Congratulations to Gail on her win in the mountain dulcimer contest at Mt. Airy NC!  (The following article just gives a bit of the flavor of the fest.) 

http://mtairynews.com/news/51563/fiddlers-convention-possibly-biggest-ever

updated by @robin-thompson: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM