Favorite albums

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,426 posts

@hoodoo If you are a fan of the music of Phyllis Gaskins, check out decades-old recording by Bonnie Russell and the Russell family. 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,426 posts

I've had interest in the use of mountain dulcimer in a string band context. Two records, both released this year, have been delights:  

-The Long Point String Band- Piney Woods 

-Roger Netherton 

The mountain dulcimer player in both recordings is Hunter Walker.  Though dulcimer isn't played on every cut, when it's played, it is tasteful and in the service of getting a great overall ensemble sound.  The Roger Netherton record was recorded at the home old-time musician Rachel Eddy with friends in support of Netherton, a fiddle champ at Winfield in a recent year. 

updated by @robin-thompson: 12/12/18 03:55:26PM
hoodoo
@hoodoo
6 years ago
2 posts

I came across Phyllis Gaskin's music. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for! Can't wait to read/listen to more recommendations.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

Lots of good albums out there, but also lots of free stuff on YouTube and SoundCloud.  I learned my first dozen songs or so from watching YouTube videos.  With the videos you can see people play as well as hear the music, so its a great teaching tool.  Just a YouTube search for "mountain dulcimer" will lead you on a never ending but very enjoyable journey.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
6 years ago
207 posts

If you install Spotify (the free version) you can use the search box to find a fair number of albums that are mountain dulcimer recordings.  I saved mine to my Spotify play list and had about 10-12 albums stored.  Almost all of Jean Ritchies were on the list.  I figured I could find the ones I wanted after I listened to them. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,124 posts

Did You?  by dulcimer Grandmaster Robert Force

Pacific Rim Dulcimer Project by various artists

Any CD by Jean Ritchie

Any CD by Kevin Roth

dulcinina
@dulcinina
6 years ago
87 posts

Masters of the Mountain Dulcimer Volume one features 19 selections by 19 different dulcimer players.  I bought it at a festival from Susan Trump.  Try www.susantrump.com.

hoodoo
@hoodoo
6 years ago
2 posts

As I begin my dulcimer journey, i'm looking for some good albums to listen to. Are there any compilation albums out there featuring a variety of styles? I'll be honest, i know little little about the dulcimer other than I like the sound and I want to play one. I looked in the archives and I couldnt find any discussions covering this topic, so my apologies if it has already been done