Awarding the "giveaway dulcimore" in Berea!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

Somewhere around a baker's dozen, @kevin-r yet I have about 5 of them promised to a couple young players.  In addition, I have 3 bowed dulcimers and one of Michael Fox's Dulcijos (which is a little 3-string banjo).    

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
@kevin-r
3 years ago
16 posts

Robin Thompson:

John, with one exception, I am in the process of thinning the herd here.  We're thinking we're going to get a much smaller house (and no steps/next to none) someday.  Even if I don't own one of your beauties, I admire them greatly.  

Thinning the herd you say? Just how many are in the herd?  :)

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 years ago
231 posts

Great photo John and great dulcimore given to Diane. Contrats Diane. Enjoy your dulcimore

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

John, with one exception, I am in the process of thinning the herd here.  We're thinking we're going to get a much smaller house (and no steps/next to none) someday.  Even if I don't own one of your beauties, I admire them greatly.  

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
386 posts

Thanks, Robin!  

There's one somewhere here in my stack of poplar with your name on it (maybe?).

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,415 posts

John, that Will Singleton dulcimer is a treasure!  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,247 posts

Wow, what an amazing prize!!  worthy

Lucky lucky lucky lady Diane.  flower

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,719 posts

Congratulations to Diane.  And what a nice gesture on your part, John.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
386 posts

Each year we have the Berea Traditional Dulcimore Gathering, one of the founding members builds a dulcimore to be given away at the gathering.  Two years ago, Bobby Ratliff of Grundy, VA built a traditional Virginia dulcimore out of 9 native woods. This year I built the giveaway dulcimore for the event.  Actually there was a choice this year: the winner could select a J. E. Thomas replica dulcimore or a Will Singleton replica dulcimore that I built.  Both of these were old Kentucky designs, but few have ever seen a Will Singleton dulcimore in person.  The winning attendee, Diane Peacock, chose the Singleton.  Here's a photo of the presentation.

berea wins.jpg
berea wins.jpg  •  226KB