Tab or info about a song Deireadn Fomhair

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 months ago
1,136 posts

I think his use of pull-offs adds to the delight of this tune.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 months ago
1,756 posts

FWIW, I tabbed out the basic melody with chords in Em.  But it is hard to capture that free and open feeling of the guitar version because in Em, we can't use that many open strings.

When I get some time, I'm going to revisit the tune and arrange it with a capo at the first fret, which will allow more open strings.  I might also try to transpose it to Bm.

If you're interested in the tab I created so far, sent me a personal message with your email.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lilley Pad
Lilley Pad
@lilley-pad
2 months ago
25 posts

Here's a link of a close up of his finger work. I hope someday I can get my fingers to work like that.  

Oh yes thanks Dusty for the Info

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 months ago
1,756 posts

I believe that's an "h" at the end of the first word rather than an "n."  According to The Session, it is an alternate title to Terry Teehan's .  If that's the same tune, the sheet music is offered in Em, but there is no C natural, so it would be playable in that key on the dulcimer.

The Stephen Wake arrangement is very pretty and makes use of the 6-string DADGAD tuning very well. It would be hard to re-create that fluid and open feel on a 3-string dulcimer.  I may try to tab this out, but it will be a while before I could get a really nice arrangement.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lilley Pad
Lilley Pad
@lilley-pad
2 months ago
25 posts

Hello again kids, how's everybody out there in cyberspace? I hope everybody has survived. all of those fireworks. My dog went completely nuts. But that's not why I'm writing, I just stumbled across the song Deireadn Fomhair that I love. I'm not quite ready for finger picking and I don't know if there's any dulcimer tablatures out there for this song; it's composed for a guitar. looks like you need pretty Nimble fingers maybe down the road. the name of the song is Deireadh Fomhair played by Stephen Wake tuned to DADGAD. Do you think that there are any dulcimer tab. Out there